powersupply and graphics card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chublake

Baseband Member
My cpu does not have a graphics card and I am looking to buy one. Most of the cards I am looking at need a min 300w power supply. My computer has a 280w power supply, so I obviously need to upgrade right?. What wattage should I upgrade to? Is there anything else I need to do to the computer when installing a higher wattage power supply?

Sorry I should have known better to give my info.
Heres what I got if you need more let me know what ya need.

Lenovo Ideacentre K300
Windows 7 64 Bit
4.00 GB Ram
Intel Pentium(R) Dual Core E 5700 @ 3.00 GHZ

I'm looking to keep the GFX card under $150.00. The power supply I will spend what ever I have to on but like to keep the price to a min.

I have two 2GB sticks of ram (whatever came with the system). I have 2 extra slots a total of 4. What will work the best as far as adding more ram? Is it better to have a two slots filled with higher ram or does it matter if I just add a couple sticks to the empty ones I have. Hope that made sense. What is a good amount of ram to have?

Good choices on the GFX cards. Way high on the PSU, though.

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$70 + $3 shipping

RAM runs in dual channels so it is best to fills the matching banks with like size and speed sticks. Your motherboard will run all your RAM at the speed of the slowest stick so try to use all the same speed.

I just choosed that psu since the price is the same as the antec one u listed. After u use the the 10 percent off it should be around 69.99 plus u get free shipping. So you would save 3 dollars and get 100 more watts :p

That one isn't 10% off as it is not one of the "select" PSUs listed. This one is, though:

Newegg.com - OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

$80 - 10% = $72 w/$20 MIR card, free shipping. It's not modular, though. There's none under it on the list that I would put in my computer.

Never count the rebate off the price when you are figuring costs. It's too easy to miss sending it in, or to do it wrong. That's why I will post the price and then the rebate... full disclosure. So the Corsair would be:
$95 - $10 (w/ promo code EMCJHJG54, ends 12/19) = $85 w/$15 MIR card, free shipping.

Its whatever the guy wants.. and i ment to say 10 dollars instead of 10 percent

buy any corsair with corsairPSU15 code for 15% off until 12/18
then it would be 95 - 14(code) - 15(MIR) = 66

650 watts is a bit more than you need, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom