motherboard and processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

olopbob

Baseband Member
I recently burned up my AMD 1.4 gig processor and just to get back up, I replaced it with a 800 megahertz AMD Duron.
I would now like to upgrade my motherboard and processor to around 2 gigs. I want some speed back. I'm not a gamer
and plan on new system w/DVD+-RW in 12 to 18 mos. So I want to be economical (around $200.00) but at the same time don't want to skimp. I have onboard sound and video and would like to use the 512 Megs of SDram I have, to save buying DDR memory. If I can find an adaptable motherboard and processor upgrade using the existing hardware (listed below), will I need any other hardware? Does anyone have any suggestions for the MB & Pross. replacements or the easiest way to upgrade ?

Present specs:
Board: SNC302EEH
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 10/31/2000
512 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'BANK_0' has 256 MB
Slot 'BANK_1' has 256 MB
Slot 'BANK_2' is Empty
ATI All in Wonder Pro 32MB Graphics Card
8X Write/4X Rewrite/32X Read CDRW Drive
12X Max DVD-ROM Drive with Software Decoding
10/100 PCI Ethernet Adapter
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 5.1 PCI Sound Card

Thanks, Bob

jeez,...where do we start.....

here's the thing,..if you want to enhance system performance..ideally you'd want to change your mobo and proc.right?

but somehow,....you can never really enhance overall system performance,..given the old hardware that you have.

however,..a mobo and proc upgrade is still possible without changing any of your existing hardware.

but if you truly want your system to perform at its peak,..then you'd have to change those rams...are you using sdram stick?..if you are change them to ddr,..but this will depend on what your new mobo supports.

your existing graphics card will fairly do its job,..if you're not a gamer.but if you do heavy graphics work and gaming,..you'd want to get a high card,..a 64mb or 128mb.

your cdrw,..is still ok,...but to tell you honestly ,..its quite slow.

the rest of the hardware you mentioned,..probably won't affect system performance

so,..if you are planning to upgrade,..you should consider,..the mobo,processor,ram,graphics card and cdrw. this is just my opinion..

the final step is still up to you;)

I'm thinking of going with this setup for $250.00 total including shipping.

GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T CommandGL5123200B Value. DDR400, CAS 2.5, 184 Pin Dimm, 6-3-3 2T Timings,6 Layer PCB, Aluminum Heat Spreader, bulk pkg - Lifetime Warranty. - $73.00

Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA
Specifications:
CPU Supported: AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron processors
Chipset: nForce2 - $83.00

AMD ATHLON XP 2500 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM
Specifications:
CPU: 1.83 GHz
Type: XP 2500 Barton Core
Cache: 512K L2, 128K L1, Total 640KB
BUS: 333MHz -
Fan & Heat sync -$87.00

What do you think? Will it work with my present setup, and I can add a DVD+-RW later?

absolutely!...i'm not sure about the ram and the nforce2 mobo though...but otherwise,..specs and all,...i think everythings good...

and you can add or update your other components later on..

I'm back. Just got everything working, added 350 watt power supply. You were right about M/B. It was a real pain, didn't like my sound card or ps2 mouse. Had to work around and added second 80 gig H/D, slaving original. It's flying now, Just looking for easiest way to reformat old H/D after I finish moving everything over and use it for complete backup.

excuse me, where did you buy these parts at? the prices are cheaper than newegg.com!

your CPU choice is perfect, i plan on getting the same one this week. i hear it is easy to bump it up to a 3200 with just a simple FSB change using the stock HSF. have fun with your new system ;)

I did get them at newegg but I added the H/D and power supply for another $80.00, also I caught the memory on sale, almost $20.00 less than now. I did try and had no problem with overclock but was just checking to see how it ran at 200 mgh. giving me the 3200, (no problem and very little temp gain). Had to install O/S before reconnecting sound and video, and a couple other small probs but I learned who liked who, and got along in system.

well,..you can just reformat the old hd by setting it up as slave to the new drive and reformat within windows, just as you would with a floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom