Do I need a GPU for my pc use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcDad

Baseband Member
Sounds like a silly question but I am assembling a new desktop pc and am wondering if my CPU graphics will serve me well enough. I am going with an i5-2500k on an ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE GEN3 mbo. I am not a gamer but will be using the pc for video encoding. If a gpu is necessary, what card gives me the best bang for the buck in the $100-$200 range? Hopefully in the lower end of the range and with two DVI outs as I will be using two monitors. Thanks.

What video encoding program are you using? Some can use gpus to speed up encoding.

If you do plan 2 dvi nmonitors, any gpu can do that, so i'd determine if your encoder can do gpu aceleraction, then you choose a card based on that.

Other than that, I'd still pick up a seperate gpu in the under $100 range.

I haven't determined that yet for converting camcorder analog VHS-C and 8mm family tapes.
For existing HD mkvs, I am using Handbrake to convert movies for use on iPod/iPad2.

Is it best for the gpu to have two dvi outs rather than one dvi and on vga?
Any gpu suggestions? For now, I check for 5 egg ratings on Newegg and then look for reviews.
What about DDR3 vs. DDR5?

generally the better cards will have dvi, if not hdmi and displayport.

5 egg ratings will only get you so far. warranty should be a pretty good factor, such as xfx.

i believe for gpu use, the difference between ddr3 and ddr5 is negligible, but again, the better cards tend to have the ddr5 in them anyways.

Both are just fine. The XFX has a doubl lifetime warrenty, where as the msi has one of the best stock coolers .

Also both will do 3 monitors.

I'd go XFX just as you only need a good quality card.

Thanks. Unfortunately both are off the weekend sale. I will watch prices this week. When you say best stock cooler, which card were you refering to?

if you aren't gaming, I see no reason to spend over $100 for a video card
something cheap, along with an adapter, would do what you want.
if you do a lot of encoding, you may want to look into a feature called Quick Sync, something your CPU have. however, not every software supports quick sync.

if you aren't gaming, I see no reason to spend over $100 for a video card
something cheap, along with an adapter, would do what you want.
if you do a lot of encoding, you may want to look into a feature called Quick Sync, something your CPU have. however, not every software supports quick sync.
Thanks for the link to Quick Sync as I had not heard of that. I will have a bit of reading to do. Some of my build components are gifts from my daughters so I will have the time to do some reading before I build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom