is 650 PSU big enough for 6 core cpu and 16 gb ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes1104

Beta member
Ok i just built my first computer and having some issues..nothing serious i dont think but still is very irratating! basically when i start up it runs a little slow/laggy and kinda slow start up but otherwise it runs ok during basic tasks.
but my main issue is when im playing a game for about 5-10 min. my computer completely shuts itself off with no warning...then when i hit the power it wont turn back on..i have to unplug the power supply for a few seconds and then plug it back in...and it starts right up with no issue. I'm thinking it might be the PSU but im not sure...Here are the specs to my computer......

Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
CPU- AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz Black Edition 6-core Processor
Ram- 16 GB memory
Graphics Card- 1GB GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked edition
Power Supply- 650 watt
OS- Windows Ultimate 64-bit
Case- CM Storm Sniper Black Edition

If someone could give me some suggestions on how to fix this that would be greatly appriciated!!!

Did you install the gpus drivers. It problaly would be the psu because my labtop did that alot and turned out to be the psu but make sure you go through all the possiblities before you buy a new psu.

Re: New Computer Build Help

All Drivers have been installed and working...is there any programs that will help me determine my power supply usage?

Ok i just built my first computer and having some issues..nothing serious i dont think but still is very irratating! basically when i start up it runs a little slow/laggy and kinda slow start up but otherwise it runs ok during basic tasks.
but my main issue is when im playing a game for about 5-10 min. my computer completely shuts itself off with no warning...then when i hit the power it wont turn back on..i have to unplug the power supply for a few seconds and then plug it back in...and it starts right up with no issue. I'm thinking it might be the PSU but im not sure...Here are the specs to my computer......

Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
CPU- AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHz Black Edition 6-core Processor
Ram- 16 GB memory
Graphics Card- 1GB GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked edition
Power Supply- 650 watt
OS- Windows Ultimate 64-bit

CPU and RAM is near enough irrelevant when it comes to the PSU. The symptoms you describe are classic for a PSU whose protection mechanisms are kicking in, it's likely that the PSU is at fault and getting a new one will resolve the issue. However, it is also possible that the issue is caused by another piece of hardware malfunctioning or a problem with the power from the wall.

Thanks...thats what i figured and was hoping and still am that it isnt anything else other than the psu....i have been wanting to get a bigger psu bc i am wanting to add another vid card..ive ran a few tests with some progs and nothing unusual has caught my eye...other than the shutting down during games it runs decent..doesnt start up very fast but i think i can mess around with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom