ARGHH, can't decide... amd vs. pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.
jnev_89 said:
would a 6800nu instead of a 9800 make a performance difference worthy of the extra $100+?

My rule is to stay away from the 6800nu. It will be well worth it to save a little longer and get the 6800GT.

you could wait to get a 6600gt AGP version when it comes out. I've read that it(PCI-X version) has outperformed the x800pro. I believe it's better than the 9800pro but I could be wrong. It also costs less than the 9800pro right now too.

Also, the comment about the CPU being personal bias is absolutely correct IMHO. You won't see a huge difference between an athlon 64 3000+ or an LGA775 3.0 ghz P4. Both are outstanding CPUs for both performance and money if you're on a budget.

I think ECC means error correction control, designed to be more stable, but maeks barely a difference. it is used for servers mainly
latency is the time it takes for something to respond to a command
the RAM you posted above, will be faster than the Corsair, it has lower latencies (means it responds quicker)

ReCoiL said:
you could wait to get a 6600gt AGP version when it comes out. I've read that it(PCI-X version) has outperformed the x800pro.

Yea, the 6600GT will perform about equal, slightly worse in some cases and slightly better in some cases than the X800 Pro. The main difference is the 6600GT is $200 and the X800 Pro is $400, and you get the same performance. Thats a no brainer.

the 6600gt is coming out in a while though. i want to order this weekend so i can build over thanksgiving.

The lower the latency the faster the RAM responds to commands. ECC stands for Error Checking and Correcting. It can correct 1 bit memory errors and detect 2 bit memory errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom