First time video card upgrade. Need reccomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocmdiaz714

Baseband Member
I have a Compaq Presario CQ5205y with a faulty on-board display so I have been forced to pick up a video card, but it's hard to pick one out of the hundreds available. Any help? I don't play video games and I don't intend on spending any more than I need. 1080p would be great.

BTW, I have a 250W power supply which I intent on upgrading to 500W, and the stock AMD Sempron LE-1300 processor.

I randomly picked this out of amazon is it any good?

Amazon.com: Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card - EAH6450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP): Electronics

it will probably work ok, but your computer is old enough to where you would be a lot better off starting over. if you dont play games, then it doesnt really matter what you get.

Well, I bought myself a PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 512MK3-SH Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. But now the only problem is the PSU. I have tried replacing it, but can't get it to fit because the black rubber around the outlet is blocked by the back case panel. My old PSU didn't have that black rubber. I already tried removing it with a screwdriver, but it wouldn't come off. Any help?

34qpxly.jpg

It should all work just fine. You can modify your case if you want to get it working. Not sure why you'd have a problem though.

Only issue is thAt gpu has no fan to cool it, so good airflow in the case is important.

2aamxc2.jpg

I also read this on eHow:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5385007_replace-power-supply-compaq-presario.html

Do not install a power supply that has more than 250 watts in your Compaq Presario 5000 desktop. Installing a higher wattage power supply can result in short term performance increases, but will eventually cause your hardware components to fail and your motherboard to short out.

Is there any truth to that? I'm upgrading the stock 250W PSU to a Antec Earthwatts 500W.

Anyone who wrote that should be shot on point. No, doesn't matter.

Looks like you have to shift it left a bit. Where the plu is, it should fit right in place.

Could always cut that extra metal bit off. Be sure it fits, though.

You can either take a Dremel/Hacksaw and remove that little bit that is blocking it, take pliers and bend it back,, or just tighten it up as it is.
There are tiny openings all over your computer case, one more by the power supply isn't going to break it.

That eHow article is right, up to that point, which is kind of disappointing.
Think of a power supply like a water trough, and your components like horses; they'll only drink as much as they need.
Having a higher watt power supply isn't going to start frying components left and right, they'll continue to draw what they need, just from a larger pool.

*Edit - Ninjas are sneaky

Anyone who wrote that should be shot on point. No, doesn't matter.

Looks like you have to shift it left a bit. Where the plu is, it should fit right in place.

Could always cut that extra metal bit off. Be sure it fits, though.

I have tried moving it around so much, but no such luck. I don't have the tools to cut the metal off so will have to find another way.

You can either take a Dremel/Hacksaw and remove that little bit that is blocking it, take pliers and bend it back,, or just tighten it up as it is.
There are tiny openings all over your computer case, one more by the power supply isn't going to break it.

That eHow article is right, up to that point, which is kind of disappointing.
Think of a power supply like a water trough, and your components like horses; they'll only drink as much as they need.
Having a higher watt power supply isn't going to start frying components left and right, they'll continue to draw what they need, just from a larger pool.

*Edit - Ninjas are sneaky

So the motherboard and computer will eventually die because of the extra wattage? And thanks for the advice. I'm going to use the pliers to bend the metal piece back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom