Start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
hey ppl.
I got a new hard drive and it took me a while to get it working properly and everything, but now i have a problem which has resulted from my way of setting it up. I put on XP-pro on to my new hard drive and i already had Xp-pro (sp2) on my main hard drive. i took Xp off my new harddrive coz i saw no point of having it on there coz i already had Xp on my main hdd.

But now i have a problem everytime windows starts up, and that is that b4 it loads windows it will come up with the OS choice. and i dont know how to get rid of that. i thought it wouldnt happen coz i only have one Xp-pro goin now.

Please help me fix this problem.
if it helps this is what my hdd's are like.
Main HDD, 20Gb partitioned, 5gb and 15gb. the 5Gb partition holds windows on it and the 15 Gb is just free space.
HDD 2, 80gb formatted and clean.

You can edit boot.ini which is in root directory of the boot partition in main HDD.

the format of boot.ini like this:
[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(Q)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

SCSI(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(Q)\WIN98="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

you can choose OS that you want to boot as your default boot OS!
edit this code :

you can edit "timeout=30" to decide how long you will wait for choosing boot OS , if you set timeout=0, you wiii not be noticed when you boot your default OS!

_ Suker

g_booto,

You have to enable 'Show Hidden Files' and 'Hide system recommended files' from the 'Folder Menu'. Now you can edit the boot.ini as 'suker' explained above

Sign
Codes:)

intercodes said:
g_booto,

You have to enable 'Show Hidden Files' and 'Hide system recommended files' from the 'Folder Menu'. Now you can edit the boot.ini as 'suker' explained above

Sign
Codes:)

oh! guy! you are so circumspective!

This is what the boot.ini file says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Will i have to take out one of these lines, i was thinking this one:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

????

edit it:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom