Budget MMORPG Machine w/ SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronophor

Beta member
I'd like to build my wife a modest gaming machine. She primarily plays MMORPGs and Sims 3 on her non-gaming laptop, which tends to be an exercise in frustration. She does not need to run cutting age games at max detail, however it would be good to build with an eye toward being able to run, or easily upgrading to run, future MMOs and whatever else catches her eye. She surprises me with her gaming requests sometimes, but I don't see her ever, for example, being interested in the latest system taxing FPS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CANADIAN. :D Your Newegg etc. links are welcome and helpful, but I'll be unable to order from them directly. Will likely use NCIX.com or Newegg's Canadian affiliate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Budget: As little as possible, without gimping anything or using dead-end series that wouldn't be upgradable.

Needed: Everything except GPU; I'll be reusing an 8800 GS for now, with the intention of upgrading in the future. Or, if you think onboard video would be superior, we can go that route too.

HDD is not required; just a SSD 120GB+.

Current thoughts:

PSU: Something reliable that will allow for future upgrades, but overkill not necessary. This will never be a multi-GPU machine. No overclocking!

Case: Function over form, just something well built to get the job done.

CPU: I'm out of the game here and eager for your recommendations. This machine is for gaming only; no CPU-intensive applications. No overclocking.

Mobo: As all parts excepting GPU are new, we have free reign. Again, overkill not required, and no overclocking. Ever. :D

GPU: The 8800 GS or whatever onboard video you recommend.

RAM: So cheap these days; 4GB should be enough, but if we go with a mobo with only two RAM slots, might as well go for 2x4GB to future proof it.

SSD: Should be at least 120GB, other than that I just want be cost effective. I've heard about random crashes on Sandforce SSDs. Should they be avoided?

DVD-ROM: Cheap functional DVD-ROM or burner if cost difference is minimal.

Mouse/keyboard: Already have.

Monitor: Already have; 1680x1050 20.1" if taking into account when considering GPU.

Thankful for your advice and opinions.

Pretty much what Jason linked with a little more tweaking:

CPU + PSU: $185 Intel i3 2100 + Corsair CX600 V2
MB: $115 MSI Z68A-G45 (B3)
RAM: $31.5 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600/CAS9
SSD: $135 120GB SanDisk Ultra SATA II
ODD: $21 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
Case: $57 NZXT Source 210 Elite

Total = $654.50 (CAD, before rebates/shipping)

Yeah the PSU is seriously beefy for what you're running, but should handle any upgrades in the foreseeable future.
Can skip the combo if you want and get a CX430 for $50, or CX500 for $60.

8GB of quality 1600 RAM is only ~$10 more than the cheapest 4GB 1333 kit, so why not?

MB has USB3, as does the Case; not really a standard yet, but should hold together until it is.

Would love to hear more of a range on what you'd like to spend. Going to be hard to fit a ssd into a budget rig, and just as hard to justify it being there.

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm researching everything.

Would love to hear more of a range on what you'd like to spend. Going to be hard to fit a ssd into a budget rig, and just as hard to justify it being there.
Well, it's really a case of spending what I have to, and not wanting to spend more. My goals are as follows: 1. Allow my wife to play the games she wants to play at an acceptable quality and 2. Allow for a system that will be decently upgradable in the future.

I don't see why it's so hard to justify a SSD. HDD prices are very high right now, she wants the quick loading of a SSD, and doesn't need room for media storage. She'll use her current laptop for that, and we'll add a HDD down the road.

Ahh, my apologizes i misunderstood your original post and thought you already had an hdd you'd be using, which would make an ssd pretty extraneous on a budget, but it's a fair choice for your only drive knowing you won't put to much on it right away. That said the build compiled by Roark is a great choice, will run mmos well now(well as far as your gpu can take it). With the mobo included in that build, you can move to an ivy-bridge processor in the future.

No worries! Thanks.

Yeah, I think I'm upgrading my own GPU and giving my wife the 8800 GS until my next upgrade, and then my new GPU will become hers. Maybe I'll save money by getting a $100-150 GPU now, and then upgrading to a $250 one next year. The reality is that the 8800 GPS has served me tremendously, and was even running Skyrim decently. So I'm sure it'll be fine for her for the next 3-12 months.

Is there a best PSU among these three?

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CXV2 500W ($50)
Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W 24PIN ATX 12V V2.2 80PLUS Modular ($55)
Antec High Current Gamer 520W 40A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze ($60)

I'd go bottom to top in price order.
Antec and Corsair both make quality products so not really going to go wrong either way.

@ khronophor, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom