C: drive perpetually running out of space (SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Mafia

Solid State Member
About a year ago I got a new computer running windows 7, with a 40GB SSD and a 1TB Sata drive. The store that built it set up the small SSD as the C: and I just assumed that this was the most beneficial setup (I don't really know the benefits of a SSD C: drive as compared to a sata C: drive, but I assume it will boot faster and programs on the C: drive will run faster, when I setting up my computer I didn't have a specific purpose in mind for the SSD, I just wanted it in case it would come in handy). Since then I've been fighting low disk space on the C: drive pretty much constantly, although I've generally been able to keep 3 or 4 GB free. Recently I installed Adobe CS on the sata drive but there are many files that snuck onto the C: drive and now I can't seem to free up a full GB (I'm at 675MB free right now).

So basically I'd like to now what the benefits of either drive being setup as the C: drive (right now everything is very fast and I don't want to reduce any speed if I don't need to), I'd like to know if there is a way to keep sneaky files from automatically appearing on the C: drive without my intention, and do you think I need to reformat my computer and setup the 1TB sata drive as the C: drive (would this entail changing the physical location of the drives?), or do you know of a lot of windows bloatware that I can safely delete?

It's pretty much how you're thinking, SSDs are great boot drives because they're really really fast. If you've only got a 40Gb model though, you might want to give this guide a look-through

http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/redirecting-program-files-program-files-x86-vista-win7-245289/

This looks like it may help me a lot, although I don't have time to go through it all until tomorrow, thanks.

Try clearing shadow copies, temp files, recycle bin and so on. Also, browsing history can eat up a good chunk.
I already did the temp files and recycle bin, I'd never heard of shadow files so I googled it and did walk through to delete them but that didn't free up any space. I'd like to delete my browser history but I don't want to lose my password and logins on various sites.

Depending on your browser you can keep your passwords if you have saved them, same with logons.

Also, read through that whole thread soulphire posted, as there are some issues/concerns you need to be aware of.

install only most important apps on the SSD. games, music, pictures and videos should be stored on your mechanical drive.
whenever you save something, try to change the save location to your hard drive, not your SSD.
whenever you install something the default location is always your C drive, and the default file save location will also be your C drive, so watch out for that.
disable windows features like the games that windows comes with (ie chess, minesweeper).

Turn off System Restore, that will clear out all the Restore Points and it will give you more space. If you want to still use System Restore then turn it back on and create a new Restore Point, but System Restore will slowly grow larger and larger again so you'll have to clear it out every so often.

Go to Internet Options> Browsing History> Settings and change the location of your Temporary Internet Files to your HDD.

There are more tips in the http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/

Wasn't sure if I should update this thread or just let it die, but I found a program that wasn't working properly and was taking up a couple GB, so as of now I have enough space to operate. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom