In the Process of overclocking, would like some feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddha0311

Solid State Member
Im overclocking my computer now or attempting and learning. This is my first time doing so, so cut me some slack. Any Feed back would be helpful!

Rig=
Processor- Lynnfield i7 860 2.8 GHz-stock
Cooler-Cool Master Hyper N520
G-card=Gtx 570 HD SC
MO-Asus p7p55d-e Deluxe
Ram-8gigs of XMS3 DDR3
Power supply-Coom Master GX 750W

185X20

Im at 3.7 GHz at the moment, 3.8 Is my Goal, but im taking it step by step.
Bclk is at 185
Ratio=20
Pcie Frequency 100
Dram Frequesncy 1480 MHz
Qpi Frequency 5926 MHZ

The Current Vcore its saying is 1.240V
i just adjusted it to 1.2375

IMC=1.262V
CpuPLL 1.803V
PCLT=1.056V
Dram- 1.750
Running at 1.565V

Any thots would be awesome! thank you!

When i run Prime95- The highest it gets to is 89C.
Intel Stress Test gets to about 88-89C
At idle i sit at about 38-40C

@ Buddha0311, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Your load temps are way to high, you need to lower them by 10-15C

i apologize, I knew going into this would get a little stressful. Would i lower my Voltage to accomplish this?

Your VCore is at 1.2375v? That's fine, my 1st guess would be that you used to much thermal paste. What paste are you using? Please don't tell me your using Arctic Silver 5. You should post some screenshots of CPU-Z (the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD Tabs) as well as a HWMonitor screenshot. Here are some links.

CPU-Z ver.1.59
HWMonitor ver.1.18

The paste im using is the once that came with my Cooler, Just says Cool Master.
Mainboard.jpg

Memory.jpg

SPD1.jpg

SPD2.jpg

Specs.jpg

Bolts.jpg

You only need to use a little, about the size of a single dried grain of rice, right in the middle of the cpu. Don't spread the paste, the weight of the heatsink will spread it for you.

When to much paste is used the paste will actually start working like an insulator. You want a metal to metal contact but nothing is perfectly flat or smooth so thermal paste is used to fill in the minor imperfections. But when to much paste is used it is no longer just filling in the imperfections it becomes a barrier to the metal to metal contact. The thicker the paste layer the higher the temps, the thinner the layer the lower the temps. But there is a fine line between thinner and not enough, practice makes perfect.

Are those temps at 100% load? According to the the SPD tab your memory is DDR3 1600 MHz, but according to the Memory tab it's only running at 1053 MHz.

2 x 526.5 = 1053

those are not my temps at 100% load, im guessing you want those, ill post them! interesting, i will have to change that!

So i just redid my grease stuff and it seems, even with a dab, a decently sized one. not to be or small, My idle temp seems to be running a lot hotter now. Im idling at about 53-58C. This is getting to me now.
Heres what my BIOS shows
Also it doesnt give me the option to get to 1600 mhz for my Ram, so i am stuck with 1400.
photo1-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Ill get the pics for 100 percent load in a little.

UPDATE: After i applied the new layer and got my comp back together, I ran the Prime95 test and the first second it turned on my CPU temp shot to almost 100. SO something changed :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom