SSD for old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

porgorg

Baseband Member
Got a Fujitsu 160GB 5400RPM 8MB HD with a SATA 150 controller [MHW2160BH] on an Arima W812DI but looking to upgrade to SSD.

Just wondering what the options are. I've read that SATA drives are backwards compatible and I've been recommended the VERTEX 3 and the M4.
However would it a waste seeing as the drive would only be running at 1.5Gb/s, or is it worth it just so it's future proof?

Are the Vertex and M4 more reliable over most seeing as I read a lot of complaints about SSD's suddenly being unable to be read, only after a few months use.

What is Intel Yonah? never heard of that. Is that a Pentium, C2D, what?

It's a Core Duo.

SATA 150 will hold back a SSD some but you will still see a massive improvement in performance. The Vertex # and M4 would both work.

Intel and Samsung are statistically the most reliable SSD manufacturers followed closely by Crucial. Being limited to SATA 150 will prevent you from seeing any difference in performance between those drives and a faster one Like the Vertex 3 so there really isn't any reason not to pick one of the more reliable options.

The Intel 320 Series in particular is a great option that is available in numerous capacities so you should be able to find one with the amount of space you need.

Thanks Puddle Jumper.
So as the 150 can't reach even SATAII speeds I'd see no difference between SATAII or III on this machine?
I've seen an Intel 320 on SATAII for £140 so I may just go for that, it's got five years warranty on it too.

Thanks Puddle Jumper.
So as the 150 can't reach even SATAII speeds I'd see no difference between SATAII or III on this machine?
I've seen an Intel 320 on SATAII for £140 so I may just go for that, it's got five years warranty on it too.

Correct, you will not see a difference between SATA II and SATA III.

I have one of the Intel 320 Series 120gb drives in my laptop and have been quite happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom