using router to get more wireless connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

artofshred87

Solid State Member
im trying to access my friends connection but i can only reach it if i walk to my back yard is there a way i can use a router to boost my laptops signal strength to be able to access the connection in my house.

Not unless you have access to your friends router, you can ask your friend to do this or ask for permission. First you make sure your laptop is connected to the wifi, then you type the numbers 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser. At this point you should see a login in prompt, your friend should have the username and password, after that all you need to do is scroll down to the wireless settings and look for "signal or power" either way it should give you an option to boost the wireless signal. Depending on what router it is, it could be located in different places.

First of all, most routers push out as much signal as they can as a default.

second of all, i believe the rules of the forum are that if you're trying to connect to a public network, we can help you but if this is your "friends" connection or a paid connection then we cant help you.

Here is the Official Stance of Tech-Forums on this matter.

If you are connecting to a Hot Spot at a store or some city that has it free, then we can try to assist you.

But if there is a unsecure WiFi network in your area that is NOT yours we can not help you at all.

Our stance is that it is considered stealing since it is not your internet connection you are trying to steal someone else's internet. We view ti as trying to hack someone else's computer. Since you technically have to connect to their router to due such a act.

From here on out this will be meet with stern and swift action.

If the connection is your we will assist you in every way we can.

Cheers,
Tech-Forums Staff

and as a side note to lerretic, noone should give out their routers access password lol ... thats just silly, and not all routers have a default network address of 192.168.1.1, depends on the manufacturer.

If im wrong about the rules on this though, then im sure someone will correct me.

and as a side note to lerretic, noone should give out their routers access password lol ... thats just silly, and not all routers have a default network address of 192.168.1.1, depends on the manufacturer.

If im wrong about the rules on this though, then im sure someone will correct me.

Im sure your right on the rules, but Id never suggest giving router access, only to advise his friend, what they do is between them.

i think you're confused then lol no problem, if he were to do what you suggested he would be attempting to login to the router with admin access.

What i think you meant, is connecting to just the wireless which means having a pre-shared key and connecting via the SSID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom