Possible New Build...Need Advice/Comments plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
i suggested to get another 550Ti because with SLI 550's you could max out any game on the market and be good to go for another 2+ years... Corsair is by far my most favorite computer hardware company... i always use as MANY of their products in my builds as i can. if they made cpus, motherboards and graphics cards i would always build an all Corsair computer haha. their build quality on all their products is amazing, their warranty on their products is awesome, their customer service is top notch and their cost/feature ratio on all their products is spot on... /informercial

as far as the HDD, im not sure, going to have to wait for someone else like Roark to chime in..

and im glad you are participating in the forum and enjoying the help, a lot of new people dont really appreciate or even listen to our suggestions. As far as building a computer, it really is pretty easy, put the thing in the thing, square peg in square hole, plug the power in, install the OS and drivers and you are done.

An IDE drive? You can get an external enclosure that will convert it to usb so you can use it for storage.

Newegg.com - Vantec NexStar DX 5.25" IDE to USB 2.0 External Optical Drive Enclosure - Model NST-530U2

That SSD I linked to really isn't big enough to use as a standalone drive, but when paired with a decent SATA drive you can utilize the Intel Smart Response Technology (a disk caching utility). I'm no expert on this but from what I understand, everything is loaded to your regular sata hdd. Then overtime, the system will start automatically moving files to the SSD that are frequently accessed.

If you just want a SSD without using the Intel Smart Response Technology then I would suggest changing your mobo to the Asus P8P67 Deluxe (this is the mobo I'm using), and getting a bigger ssd.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

This is still on the smallish side but it's only $84.99 after a rebate.

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

This drive is only $129.99 after a rebate.

Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC

HAHA...does that mean I can put it back in the drawer Trotter? Or is it still usable in this possible build??

Looks like the build is a go!! All parts will arrive today.

I will post more info later in the day once I can sit down and put some work into it.

I appreciate all the posts and advice. Now I only hope I can handle this build and get things up and running without to many hiccups!

I did switch out a few parts from your suggestions...and also bought a small toolkit with the anti static strap after hearing about them. So I stayed close to budget!

Again....Thanks to all who posted and offered advice...I will try and post pics as I go along!

My original HD worries me but it already has Win 7 on it.

If a hard drive has windows 7 on it that isnt the license is it? i thought the license was on the motherboard, therefore new motherboard means having to buy a new license (unless you have a retail disc instead of OEM)?

is this right^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom