psu and cpu problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinshomaru

Beta member
'm having several problems with my studio 540 that i just purchased in 2009.

I turned my computer off one night and the next it refused to turn on..nothing at all, no lights although the psu light was lit on the back of the computer. I called dell and my warranty had just run out!! They recommended a new motherboard. I got a refurbished board and computer still wouldnt turn on. The tech that came out said its probably the psu so i got an old psu from another computer and everything worked fine. The tech and i figured that the motherboard was good all along so i saved my old one. The fan stopped working in the psu that i have now but its still powering my system. i just bought a corsair tx 650 modular from amazon. Get it home and it wont boot my system. The cpu fan spins, the case fan spins then stops, a solid amber light appears on the front of the computer, the monitor wont display anything.

Do i have just a bad psu and i should return it to amazon?? I know its not the board because i tested both boards with my old psu and everything works fine with it.

any advice on a better psu or should i try to buy another corsair?

Also my processor i think is running to high..i downloaded the support center program and it shows temps of about 60c for all 4 cores with the first core running a little hotter. i then downloaded realtemp 3.6 and i averaging about 55 just doing basic stuff like posting here. I think i may need to install some grease on my processor since when i removed the heatsink there was crud on the part of the heatsink that touches the processor and the top of the processor that shows the model number is gone. if i got some ne grease ould that bring my processor temps back don to normal?

i have intel core 2 quad core q9400 processor
ati radeon 3650 256mb
nothing else added to the system though i do use my 32 inch tv as my monitor and its connected via hdmi to my graphics card

any help would be appreciated

-Byron

Your cpu is probally ****ed now you need thermal paste for the cpu if that doesnt fix it idk what will.

Dell is horrendous for compatibility.

Double check you have the 4/9 poin plugged into the board, as well as the 20/24 pin.

The cpu does probably need repasting, but also ensure the fan works.

i ordered some arctic thermal paste and cleaner that should be here thursday. My cpu should still be good right since my computer is working fine?

Dell is horrendous for compatibility.

Double check you have the 4/9 poin plugged into the board, as well as the 20/24 pin.

The cpu does probably need repasting, but also ensure the fan works.

i made sure the 4 pin plug was plugged in and 24 pin too. those are the only connectors that go into the board from the psu i checked the fan while i had the system open and both the case fan and the cpu fan work and i downloaded cpuid and it shows me the speed of the fans inside the computer. i'm hoping with this thermal paste the temp will be brought down to normal.

yeah i have an old psu (antec) that has 2 fans and one of them stopped working so i dont trust it and need to replace it. it powers up the system and im currently using it now. i did notice something between the stock dell and the antec psu's..they both have 2 rails that equal about 30 amps combined whereas the corsair tx650 has just 1 rail with 54 amps. maybe my stock dell motherboard needs a 2 rail power supply??

great news. i received the arctic cleaner and arctic silver number 5 and watched some utube vids and read instructions. turns out that crud was the old thermal paste and it was covering up the processor info on the metal cap. cleaned both heatsink and processor, then tinted both then applied paste. as soon as i turn on my computer my average temps are at 39-41c!!! huge improvement over 55-60c i was getting before!! i imagine after 200 hours my temps are going to be even better

now i just have to return the non-working psu

thanks patronb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom