Physical Memory Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Beta member
I am running windows XP I have 64 mb total physical memory & have 4.39 available physical memory left. I hav deleted some programs that i have not been using but still cant get the memory back. Can someone help me plz ????

I believe the very minimum ammount of RAM for XP is either 64MB or 128MB. You may just need more RAM. That sounds extremely low.

Free? haha not at all. What type of RAM does your computer use....sounds like your not using DDR, as DDR min. can only be bought as 126MB I believe.

DavidWatersUGP said:
Free? haha not at all. What type of RAM does your computer use....sounds like your not using DDR, as DDR min. can only be bought as 126MB I believe.
126mb of RAM aye? Where is it that you buy yours from? Lol... If you know the type of RAM your system uses, look around at Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, or even do a search at Pricegrabber.com. You want to match the speed, of your other stick(s) of RAM because if you buy anything faster or slower, your other stick(s) will be forced to run at that speed. Also, why do you want to exchange motherboards? I have never opened a Dell up so I cannot say for sure, but most propriatory companies make it VERY difficult to alter their computer. I once had to pry the encasing holding my hard drive with a hammer on an HP.

roadwarrior,

IMHO, instead of you getting a new RAM[ Or even a Free Ram] ,a new MOBO , try to utilize the resources that you have left. i.e . Uninstall windows XP, install windows98[win98 se is damn good, i like it better than XP] , tweak your system ,make it lite.....and there it is, you have a system that runs smoothly as if you have 256 MB DDR RAM installed in your system..

Sign
Codes:)

I have run winxp fine on a old 350mhz with 64mb but i tweaked it a lot.

Try this:
got to start, run, and type services.msc, then, go to a service called themes or something simular. Then right click on it and go to propertys and set it form automatic to manual. This will diable that blue, silver, or green theme and make it look like win2k or 9x.

You can get many more tweaks online if you google it.

goto start-run.type msconfig.goto 'services'.select diasable all option.apply.then select following services. dhcp client.plug n'play.remote procedure call(rpc).windows audio.apply.
you will have to restart.this will free up quite a lot of memory.
this is ok for running games and certain applications,however as it also switches off a lot of xp's features/tasks,you will prob have to re-select all again to make certain changes and carry out certain tasks.i must say that in my mind,256 mb ram is minimum for xp.yes, i know thats not the minimum that microsoft say,but they also say xp is reliable and secure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom