Advice, What Would Be The Most Flexible CPU For Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeine

Fully Optimized
When it comes to complete custom computer configuration/ cooling projects, im a newbie. I understand the fundamental's, leaving me very clueless to very important things.

If you notice on the bottom of my post thats the computer im in the middle of creating. I already have half the hardware. So soon after thats finished im gonna built a very simple computer. With that computer im going to start my first Cooling Project.

So thats what im up to, and im wondering whats a very flexible CPU that would be good for me to get? Also not expensive since the computer im working on is literally taking all my money.

Im doing this all alone, just myself, so its hard not to have someone you can call over to help you out. So any imformation would help alot. Thanks for your time.

The most flexible CPU?? Ok well........if you're getting an AMD64 chip they are all going to run a lot hotter than say an XP chip, so right now most of the AMD64 chips are about equal as they haven't been out long enough and on top of that, not enough people have tried Overclocking them and all that good stuff.....so as far as you wanting the most 'flexible cpu for cooling', well if you're going AMD64 then it really doesn't matter. All of them will run way hotter than an most XP chips and it's all a matter of how well you have your cooling setup done.

If you're working on a cooling project, then that's what you need to focus on, and just get whatever CPU you want cause like I said most of the 64's are about the same temperature...atleast generally in the cases I've seen with users having them anyway.

Focus on a good aftermarket heatsink, solid copper is the best, good thermal compound, and a good fan to go on that aftermarket heatsink. Thats your best plan of action. Then start adding fans wherever you can in your case.

I dident just mean 64 sorry for confusing you. Yeah im gonna stick with the Vantec Tornado if it will support whatever processor socket i'll have. Solid Copper i'll make sure i get the best solid copper heatsink since they anit very expensive anyway. Thanks alot man!

So what CPU are you wanting? a 64-bit or a regular AthlonXP? The XP-Mobiles run very cool...

yeah the XP-Mobiles are the absolute best for overclocking. With them having the barton core which has 512 L2 Cache and half the wattage of a normal desktop chip they are the best bang for the buck because I haven't heard of a person yet that's owned one that hasn't gotten it to a MINIMUM of 3200+ XP speeds... It seems the 2600+ XP-M's require less voltage than the 2400+'s because 4W4K3 has a really nice OC with not that much voltage. (That's 100% prime95 stable btw? Kudos, mines at 2.5GHz at 1.925, but the chip seems to require less and less voltage the longer it's had to burn in)

yes it's prime, memtest, sandra, 3dmark...lol all stable. that's its limits though until i can do a vmod to the NB...wont go over 235fsb with 1.7v.

that's its limits though until i can do a vmod to the NB...wont go over 235fsb with 1.7v.
I'd be happy with that though, that's a really nice OC with not a lot of Vcore at all.

Nubius said:
I'd be happy with that though, that's a really nice OC with not a lot of Vcore at all.

what ticks me off is im 10mhz away from 2.6ghz, but one more mhz to fsb and it is not 100% stable (crashes after about a week of use) even with looser timings and a huge bost in voltage it wont go 236*11 completely stable. i want those 10mhz!!! lol...in the mean time im building an old 450mhz AMD for my sister and upgrading P3 laptop...helps to take a break from the main rig.

what ticks me off is im 10mhz away from 2.6ghz,
lol well why don't you just lower your RAM and up the multi? Mine will run 2.7 completely prime95 stable, memtest, 3dmark03, etc..etc.. but I'm doing it with 200x13.5, but it requires like 2.05 voltage and it's mainly staying cool during the winter so I have it clocked at 2.5 for now since 1. I'm running it at 166FSB until I get some XMS PC3200 and 2. I want lower voltage to be used and I'm currently running the 30's celcius with 40C or so on full load, but I usually don't turn my fans up all the way cause I know those temps are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom