Question on a build specific towards videos, rendering and editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafem

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I recently loaned my computer to a family member so they could use it for rendering a stop-motion animation short film. Once he had finished with it, he commented on how he would like to get a PC build like mine so he wouldn't have to use my PC again. I'm looking for opinions from people who use their rigs for similar video editing type tasks.

I'm fairly confident I could build him a machine similar to mine, provided I tell him which parts to get. It would obviously be middle-high to high end, but I was looking for feedback on the graphics section particularly. Im guessing the integrated graphics incorporated into the new Intel processors won't be much help here, so can I justify a 1st gen mobo/CPU configuration?

Also, I seem to remember reading once that for video rendering and similar tasks, the graphics memory is more significant to take into consideration, on par with core and memory clocks, due to the generally large file sizes of each frame to render at any one time. Is there any truth to this?

Lastly, any suggested set-ups are appreciated.

Many thanks.

I would stick with 2nd gen. Much faster.

i7 2600k
ASUS P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1)
NVIDIA GTX 5xx card

If the software you're using can utilize NVIDIA's CUDA cores, then I'd say get the best one you can find...if it fits in your budget. If not, you probably don't need to get a high-end one unless your relative is planning on playing games, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom