Need some experts' opinions...(compatability/cost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThusToTyrants

Solid State Member
I think I've narrowed my build down to these. Does anyone see anything that is not compatible? And any ideas for cpu cooler and what wattaged psu I would need?? (Mainly for gaming, Skyrim/Diablo3/COD MW3. I won't be OC'ing myself, anytime soon at least)

Case : Corsair Obsidian 650D
Mobo : Gigabyte ga-z68ma-d2h-b3
CPU : i7-2600k
CPU Cooler : ???
GPU : MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
Memory : G Skill Sniper PC3-14900
HDD : WD Caviar Black - 1TB, SATA 3, 7200rpm
SSD : OCZ Collossus Plus 120GB

Optical : LG UH12LS28 BD, DVD/CD Writer
PSU : ???

Thanks all, I'm sure all these build questions get tiresome......lol

Pieced together from newegg, tigerdirect, and amazon. Were you asking for the total price so far, or individually??

post us a link of each component. Also, it is not smart to buy from multiple shops, unless you get a very good deal. Saves on shipping.

Yeah, left the psu blank on purpose, how much wattage would I need for this rig? and what type of cpu coolong would you suggest. Sorry, I'm super new to the whole tech world.....

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Should I look into water cooling, or heatsink, or is it preference??

I'm sure all these build questions get tiresome
I actually rather enjoy helping people with build questions, thats why I'm here :big_grin:

PSU you'll need roughly 500W @ stock, probably want more headroom for when you start to OC.
Corsair TX650 V2 is probably your best option, OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W if the budget is getting tight.

CPU cooler I'd either go low or high.
$26 ($10 MiR) Cooler Master Hyper 212+
$89 ($20 MiR) Corsair H80

Aside from that, some other suggestions:
1) Don't drop ~$250 on a storage drive (WD Caviar Black).
You'll have 120GB on your SSD, thats plenty of room for Windows and quite a few programs and games, grab a Samsung Spinpoint F3, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, or Wesern Digital Caviar Blue. All should be much cheaper.

2) Unless the pricing is competitive there is no need for 1866MHz RAM; you should be able to find some 1600MHz cheaper, maybe even with a lower CAS latency.

3) The 650D case is built with water cooling in mind. Unless you want to do a loop for your CPU + GPU I'd check out the Corsair 600T or 400R, same low-key classic styling but with more airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom