Worth upgrading to give my PC a boost before an eventual replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
I'll probably get a totally new rig next summer hence I'm not looking to do any sort of major upgrade(as in mobo+cpu type thing) but I was I considering a GPU upgrade.

Currently I have...

Q6600 (had problems with cooler so at stock, but it's just because I haven't gotten round to OC'ing, so I obviously can do)
HD 4870 512mb
2x2GB PC6400 ram
Corsair 520w PSU
(monitor res is 1680x1050)

Obviously DDR2 ram has all but faded away now and since I certainly couldn't transfer it to a new system I'm less keen to add ram.

GPU wise I'm not sure if anything would bottleneck a newer card? When it comes to getting a new system in summer I'll likely spend a fair bit and look at getting a rather high end card, thus anything I'd get now is just to give my current games a bit of a boost where high settings make things a little less then smooth at times (Crysis, Metro 2033 etc).

So really say a budget of £100. Which looks like it'll get me A 550ti in the nvidia camp or the HD6850 for ATI. Would you say the performance improvement I may see from an upgrade to one of those cards is worth it? Or would it be better just leaving it 6 months or so for a totally new build?

No point throwing 130 dollars if ur gonna get a new comp in 6 months. Might as well save the 130 dollars to make the comp u get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom