Assistance with first computer build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3gendary92

Solid State Member
Hi all! I recently wanted to build my own computer. I do some light editing in programs such as Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects, but I am running off a 6 year old computer and it can provide very difficult at times. I am also wanting to play the newest games on highest graphics and fps if possible. Here is my list for the first time picking out my cpu parts

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1688U/B Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1044.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-11-26 12:11 EST-0500)

Thanks for your input. I did some research and that cooler you linked seems like the better deal! My only concern is my graphics card. I feel like I could be getting more bang for my buck but I'm not so sure.

depends on who you are asking I guess.
I am perfectly happy with the performance of a GTX 460, some people says a GTX 460 is not suited for gaming and would recommend a GTX 580.

depends on who you are asking I guess.
I am perfectly happy with the performance of a GTX 460, some people says a GTX 460 is not suited for gaming and would recommend a GTX 580.

Hmm okay. So do you suppose it can run current games such as Battlefield 3 at highest possible graphics? That's what I am really looking forward to :)

I don't think the 560Ti can handle BF3 on Ultra with max AA/AF, but from what people around here have been saying you can get it looking quite good.

Noticed you've got a laptop hard drive in there, would suggest one of these to replace:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

My apologies for the late reply! I am really looking forward to an MMORPG called Guild Wars 2 coming out. I'm trying to debate if my graphics card could handle that at full graphics or not, but it's hard to say when it's not out yet. Any suggestion on a great video card for around the same price at the 560Ti or a little more? Since this is my first build I'm wanitng to go all out haha! Changed my hard drive as well thank you

Any suggestion on a great video card for around the same price at the 560Ti or a little more?
I'm a **** for Nvidia so I'd say either a GTX 560Ti 448 Core or a GTX 570.
However you can also get an AMD HD6950/6970 around that price too.

Depending on the game one may be better for you than the other, so I'd do some research on benchmarks for games you currently play.
AnandTech 560Ti 448 versus HD6970

i think i would 'downgrade' the cpu and motherboard to the i5 2500k with a z68 motherboard, and get an additional ssd, and the 6970 instead of the 560 ti.

i think i would 'downgrade' the cpu and motherboard to the i5 2500k with a z68 motherboard
^ Thats also an option. Really depends on what your priorities are for this rig.

If you're more focused on gaming go for the 2500K, it will still work fine with SV Pro and Adobe AE.
If you're more focused on the editing stick with the 2600K, as those two will see benefit from the hyper-threading.

What was your max budget for this? I'd be happy to do a build suggestion, and I'm sure others would be happy to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom