Looking to upgrade to run Skyrim better. Is my CPU/RAM a bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashogun

(>-_-)>
My custom build from many years ago has been serving me well but now I am starting to feel that it is meeting its end. I've replaced the video card about a year ago, however Skyrim still shows poor framerates in high demanding scenes (such as snowy weather). I have the settings on high at a 1920x1200 resolution monitor.

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
G.skill 2GB DDR2 1066
Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard
One Radeon 6950 2GB
Corsair 520watt
Seagate 1TB 7200rpm SATA hard drive
Windows 7 32-bit

Would I see major changes if I upgrade the ram to 4GB and switch to a 64-bit operating system? 8GB of ram nowadays at 1600MHz is affordable nowadays so I can go as high as that if needed. Or is the CPU the main bottleneck? I was looking at the i5-2500k as a worthy replacement.

*edit: I also have been reading around that AMD's cards have been underperforming on Skyrim and we will have to wait on an update driver. Not sure if this is true.

If you can do it, I'd upgrade ram, mobo, and cpu...i5-2500k, ASUS P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1), and G.Skill 8gb or 4gb. To lower the price a bit, you can get a cheaper motherboard, 4gb ram, and an i5-2400.

I would upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit so you can use 4 gbs of memory if you plan on upgrading ram and i would get An i5-2400 as the guy said on top of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom