ARGHH, can't decide... amd vs. pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
this is really stressing me out... i can't decide between 2 different configs i have. amd or pentium. here are the 2 configs:

amd:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939
ABIT AV8-3RD EYE Socket 939
MSI RX9800PRO 128MB
CORSAIR XMS PC-3200 1GB
Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Antec Super Lanboy
Antec Solution Series SL450 450W
Pioneer DVR108 16X Dual Layer DVD
Asus DVD-E616P1 16X DVD-ROM
SAMSUNG 997DF-T/T 19" CRT

pentium:

Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz LGA 775 HT
ABIT AA8-DuraMAX i925X LGA 775
ATI Radeon X700PRO 256MB PCI-Express
Corsair 1GB PC2-4200 Dual-Channel
Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Antec Super Lanboy
Antec Solution Series SL450 450W
Pioneer DVR108 16X Dual Layer DVD
Asus DVD-E616P1 16X DVD-ROM
SAMSUNG 997DF-T/T 19" CRT

i like amd more than pentium, but i'm not sure if amd will be better for what i'm doing (some gaming, photoshop, minor video editing). also, the ram for the pentium is really expensive for some crappy ram (are there any 925x mobo's that support 184pin ram?? 240pin is super expensive). the video card is better on the pentium though. which will oc better? i'm just a n00b at ocing, but i really want to learn. which is more beginner-friendly? i'll hopefully be ordering ths weekend so i can build over thanksgiving:cool:

if you guys could give me some suggestions (or suggest different parts instead of the ones i picked out) it's be great.

thanks

how about you take the amd system and put a nvidia 6800(gt or ultra) into it, pci express cards are way too expensive( in the u.k anyway )

if you only do a little gaming then you should be fine with the 9800 pro, and truthfully if you are going to be doing a LOT of photo-video editting then go for th epentium time and time again it has been shown to lead in apps like that that can support splitting commands for the hyperthreading feature... however overall and price wise i would suggest the AMD, it has been shown to give good results in all those editting apps(not as good as Intel), and exemplary results in gaming and general use.

and for nubius sake i will say this:

Please do not let this degenerate into an Intel vs AMD fight.

i don't edit too much... and it's only for my use, nothing professional or anything.

it was not my intent for this thread to go to an amd vs intel fight. just wanted to get some insight. i was leaning towards the amd, and still am, but everyone keeps telling me that intel is better for my uses, so i'm still not really decided...

If you don't game that much, then I don't see why you need the corsair XMS series and DDR2 rams. Both rigs look very good. But, since you don't game that much, then go for the Intel. Intel is better for workstations and amd is better for gaming.

the ddr2 is required for the intel mobo. i just thought that xms would have better performance and was more ocable

Just about everybody on this forum will say get an AMD....as AMD is supposedly better for gaming. However, I have seen benchmarks that can lead both ways.....so its really personal preference. Personally, I prefer AMD, but there is nothing wrong with a Pentium 4.

would a 6800nu instead of a 9800 make a performance difference worthy of the extra $100+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom