Finding sticky goo inside case

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinedude10

Solid State Member
Ok, so... I'm really anal about keeping the inside and all of the parts of my computer clean and free of dust. I usually clean it once every weekend. Lately, I've been finding this liquid/gooey like stuff in places. The first time I noticed it, it was on the fan blades on both 120mm fans I have on the side panel of my case (HAF 922). It was really no big deal, but it was quite hard to clean off. It didn't seem very water soluble when I tried to wipe it with a damp paper towel. It took a lot of wiping with a lot of freshly moistened paper towels to get it clean. The fans are still a little slimey feeling and dust gets easily trapped on the blades. It didn't have any kind of smell from what I could tell.

However, today, I found some on my GTX 580. Fortunately, it was only a very small amount on the plastic shell covering the heat sink. However, this worries me because this means it has to be coming from somewhere inside my case. Now, I have a Corsair H70 as my CPU cooler. I'm really not sure what the liquid inside of it is like. Would it be somewhat thick and gooey like this stuff I'm finding? I've checked it for leaks or holes or any such thing but I did not see any. And, if it was the H70 that was leaking, I would be constantly finding the liquid in places... however these instances were about a month and a half apart.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be from?

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped me pick the parts and gave me suggestions to build my computer a few months back. She is running beautifully!

Odd, It may be from the fans themselves. The bearing lube may have spun out and would collect on ends. Plus it'd be pushed onto the gpu.

I doubt the h70 is leaking by the sounds of where youre finding it.

Oh, yeah... I never thought about that. Makes sense! They're Rosewill fans, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'll look into replacing them; maybe a more reputable brand this time. Thanks paton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom