Display question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zthomaston

Beta member
Hello all,

I have been contemplating trading out my monitor for a LED TV. While I realize that this question has been posted in several places all over the net, I cannot seem to find the specific answers I am searching for. Forgive my repetition.

I'm not a huge gamer, however I prefer to consult gamers, and build my system to gamer specs, as they are typically up to date with the latest information. I am planning on purchasing a 32" LED TV for dual purpose use as both a television, and a computer monitor. I typically utilize my computer for general use web browsing, video playback, and casual gaming. In this instance, keeping cost in mind, will going from 720p to 1080p be hugely noticeable? What about refresh rate, will there be a marked upgrade between 60hz, and 120hz? On ports, I don't have an HDMI output on my GPU, however I know that I can get converters. If I am not concerned with audio, as I will be utilizing a different system for that, will DVI give me similar results?

Should I try to avoid any specific manufacturers? As I mentioned above, cost is an issue, and this will be my first HDTV purchase of any sort, my current television is a 20" tube.

One of my friends also experienced an issue with 'burn in' on his television when he tried this, however when I mentioned this to another, more technically experienced friend, he said that there is no way an LED TV would have such an issue. Is this something I need to concern myself with?

I'm sure I've missed answering several important questions, and will check back regularly to update. I would appreciate any advice you all can give, as well as recommendations.

Thanks,

Zack

Hi,
currently i use a 32" monitor myself :)

define casual gaming ... PC gaming or console gaming? if console gaming you wouldnt notice between 720 and 1080 on an xbox, but you may on a ps3 especially with blu-ray quality and some of the new gamers.
Pc gaming you wouldnt notice - plus i assume these are older games you're playing anyway, if you were playing the new stuff doubtless your gcard would have a hdmi output ;)

the hz rating is great if you play alot of fast action games or watch alot of sports. back in the day that was the selling point of plasmas over LCD tvs, but for casual i dont think it really matters though quite alot of smaller tvs are 100hz anyway.

yes you can use a HDMI - DVI convertor and no, theres no quality differential as they are both digital, you'll lose audio ofc and if you ever switch between the two, i mean i noticed hdmi handled colours a tad better but i didnt really care as it was un-noticeable.

personally, i love LG tvs - they have great tech and last forever with the right care. samsung tends to get a little pricier for the same tech and the sony bravias really suck these days.

thats my 2 cents
- currently using the 32inch LG

I'm actually more of a PC gamer, haven't moved into the current generation of console games yet...still like the old stuff. I actually chose to go with dual DVI's on my GPU vs HDMI. However, I do tend to play alot of games that are low on resource consumption.

I'm not a sports fan at all, and fast action isn't necessarily my big thing. It seems that the hz rating is a huge factor in the price, almost moreso than the resolution.

Another issue that I am contemplating is LED's, are they noticeably different in this application?

Thanks,

Zack

I would think having the extra pixels is an absolute must. I'd love to get a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 but the prices simply won't drop enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom