Got me a new computer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
whats up guys,

i got me a new computer...

EVGA Classified mobo ( dunno which one )
intel i7 920
xigmatek 120mm heatsink
6 gigs corsair 2000 ram
corsair 850W psu
2 hdds in raid ( dunno which raid )
9800GT 1 gig

for the low low price of free ;)

im going to get either 570 or 580, throw her in there, and call it a day!

BF3 here i come!

@ Slaymate, going to need your help overclock this bad boy! :D

Wow man, free seems a little overpriced, should've tried to talk them down :wink_tongue:
Grats on the new comp!

eh, i didnt want to bust his balls too bad haha... i feel like i got a good deal ;)

About time, Sean. :lol: :thumbsup:

ive really missed having a computer that can run any game after Unreal Tournament haha

Post some cpu-z and HWMonitor screens.
slaymate! here you go:
do you still have your True Copper heatsink?

HWmonitor.png

OK. to start with your EVGA mobo, the E757 is not a Classified mobo. The E757 is the X58 LE version, which is what I have in my office PC. It's a decent mobo but it is the most economical full-size X58 mobo they made, and it has fewer bios option than the rest of the EVGA X58 lineup.

Your CPU-Z screenshot is cut-off, I can't see what stepping your i7 920 is.

I know that some of the newer bios versions didn't play well with my overclocking, I'll check my bios when I get to work on Monday and let you know what version to flash to. I'll also write down all my setting for 4GHz and post them for you.

Your memory is DDR3 2000? What brand, Part#? According to CPU-Z it is only running at 1066MHz. Can you post a screenshot of the CPU-Z "SPD" tab (make sure you have a occupied slot selected)?

Edit: I sold the True Copper to my brother. That Xigmatek heatsink is already running hot, you need to check your thermal paste application.

Id appreceiate it slaymate. sorry about the screen shot, i was trying to get it all into one screen big enough to sill read everything

Untitled-20.jpg

It also appears that your memory is not DDR3 2000, it looks like DDR3 1600 cas 9 to me. I'll post you some settings to try tomorrow :D

I went to EVGA.com and they've changed their download page. They use to have all of their older bios updates available but I don't see them anymore. Your bios is dated 5/22/2009 and the one I'm using is dated 3/30/2010 (I think that's what it said, I forgot to actually write that down.) I have the bios update I'm using saved to my harddrive, it's a .iso file you can burn to a cd. I'm suppose to tell you that you should try overclocking it without flashing the bios 1st, flashing can kill your mobo, but the bios I'm using is the last one tuned just for the original 4-core i7's before the 6-core 980 was released. EVGA does have a new bios available thats only a few months old, but I'm not going to try it. If you PM me your email I'll send you the .iso file.

Here are the settings I'm using for 4 GHz with my office pc. I did change the memory settings to match your memory.

Mother Board ( EVGA X58 SLI LE E-757 )
Drivers ( )
Bios ( E757_49 )
CPU ( i7 920 D0 )
CPU Cooler ( )
Memory ( )
PSU ( )
GPU ( )
Drivers ( )
Operating System ( )

Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio ( 20X )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 201 ) - My board runs at 199.6 when set at 200 so I bumped it to 201
MCH Strap ( Auto )
CPU Uncore Frequency ( Auto )
CPU Clock Skew ( 0 ps )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 101 )
OC Recovery ( Enabled )
Turbo Performance ( Disabled )

Memory Feature
Memory SPD ( Standard )
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 1067Mhz / 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( 9 )
tRCD Setting ( 9 )
tRP Setting ( 9 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 88 ) - you might be able to lower this to around 71
Command Rate ( 2T ) - you might be able to run 1T

Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
CPU VCore ( 1.31250 V ) - Raise this for ***STOP: 0x00000101, I would keep it below 1.4V, watch temps
CPU VTT Voltage ( +200mV ) - Raise this for ***STOP: 0x00000124, keep below +400mV, watch temps
CPU PLL VCore ( 1.725 )
DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0mV )
QPI PLL VCore ( 1.3 V )
IOH VCore ( 1.375 V )
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.625 V )
ICH VCore ( 1.3 V )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Disabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( Enabled )