Power Supply or Windows Software? You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says both in BIOS and in Windows XP:

AMD Processor model unknown

This is a Phenom model that was released after AM2 BIOS came out for this board, which allowed Phenoms to work on it. Since then, they haven't had any BIOS updates. So while it recognizes it's AMD, I don't think it has the capacity to know which model it is.

And I doubt ASUS would go back to this 7 year old board and update the BIOS for me so I could use it correctly.

EDIT: It's an ASUS board. Oops.

AMD Phenom II X2 555
1 Core 1 Thread.

So it looks like that's the problem then.

It does say on the website that it supports it. Ut oh.

EDIT: It's possible they've updated the BIOS since then. I need to check this out.

I got the new BIOS in and it can finally detect what kind of CPU it is. Problem is, this board can handle dual core I think, but it's still only using 1. That above solution doesn't apply to me I guess. I checked it and the box is already unmarked, and I can only put 1 in there regardless.

Can Windows XP only run single core? I don't think that's a limitation.

Strangely, while trying to find the motherboard you mention online in the MSI support pages, they don't list that motherboard model, at all...

Looking at the ASUS, for the 5xx series chipsets, your processor never made it out of testing it appears with that board, it's stuck on a beta BIOS apparently?

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI_Deluxe/#CPUS

Sadly, this means that the board may never actually support that particular CPU properly.

Windows XP can see multi-core processors just fine.

But make sure you have the absolute latest BIOS revision for your board... Which would be a BETA version, which means potential stability issues.

The last BIOS released was just over a year ago, version is 1804, I am surprised as that update enables AM3 processor support on your board.

Also, a motherboard doesn't need to know the name of a processor to work, the only thing a motherboard requests from the CPU is what voltage it wants to run at, the Multiplier, and the FSB that the CPU needs to operate at, and how many cores if applicable.

Can you get us a picture of CPU-Z as MoM asked earlier? I think something is disabling your core after reading this thread multiple times.

What about the Mainboard tab? I wanna see what your motherboard is exactly, and which BIOS revision you are using.

Noticed that CPU-Z is reporting that it is a single core CPU as well...

@Fat.Clown this isn't an OS issue, this is an issue with his CPU and motherboard combo, there is a high chance his motherboard can not support the processor properly with it being an AM3 CPU, and no official support provided for his board.

What about the Mainboard tab? I wanna see what your motherboard is exactly, and which BIOS revision you are using.

Noticed that CPU-Z is reporting that it is a single core CPU as well...

@Fat.Clown this isn't an OS issue, this is an issue with his CPU and motherboard combo, there is a high chance his motherboard can not support the processor properly with it being an AM3 CPU, and no official support provided for his board.

I'm using Revision 5001, because the newest beta revision didn't read my CPU for some reason. Once I went back to 5001, it was able to detect the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom