Trouble building computer - cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
So I'm having major difficulties finding out where each cable goes.
I've read manuals.
I've also looked up guides online, but none of them are the same mine are.

Example: I get the computer and everything running, but when plugging a HDMI cable into the GPU, it says it's getting no signal.

The GPU is firmly in place and the fan is working, so I don't get it.

Basically... any cable guides out there?

I know about The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!, but it's not really that great on cables.

Can someone please help me?

You probably need a 6-pin PCI-E power cord. What are your system specs?

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MB: MSI Z68A-GD55 G3
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 low profile
ODD: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner
HDD: Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
SSD: 120GB Corsair Force Series 3
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
PSU: Corsair TX650M
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

These are the parts I'm attempting to put together. If that's the info you needed? I'm bad at this, yes.

OK, quick check, do you have the 8-pin CPU power cord connected? Should be right above your CPU heatsink. Again, do you have a 6-pin PCI-E power cord connected to the back of your GFX card? I'm guessing you have your HDD and ODD connected alright.

OK, quick check, do you have the 8-pin CPU power cord connected? Should be right above your CPU heatsink. Again, do you have a 6-pin PCI-E power cord connected to the back of your GFX card? I'm guessing you have your HDD and ODD connected alright.
Yes to the 8-pin CPU power cord.
About the 6-pin PCI-E power cord: I had to use one extra cable that came with the PSU which is 6-pin + 2-pin on one end (the 6-pin is connected to the GPU card) and 8-pin in the other end (which is connected to the PSU).

The 570 needs 2 x 6-pins. Are there 2 connectors going into the GFX card? I think that is what you are saying...
Sorry if I'm hard to understand, doing my best over here! :)

There are 2 6-pin slots, yes. 1 sec and I'll try with 2 instead of 1. Thought 1 would do since the card's fan is spinning.

Problem solved.

Like you said.

I was stupid enough to put only 1x 6-pin into the GFX card. Now that I put both in, the card stopped making that siiick sound and it works.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom