RAM Size vs CAS Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlH67

Baseband Member
hey guys,

i currently have Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.5-1.6v VDIMM, in the next few months i am looking to upgrade my memory but it only can be dual channel because im using a sandybridge 2500k.

i am currently stuck though

i have found

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit, 1600MHz 9-9-9-24, 1.5V

and

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit DDR3-1600, CAS Latency: 7-8-7-24 2N

i am stuck because what would benefit me more getting the corsair and having the same cas latency but twice the memory size or getting the G.skill and keeping the same size but lower timings on the CAS..
if i could plug both these into my computer and test ingame and out of game what difference would i notice? and also could i have any of your recommandation :)

there really isnt any reason to upgrade your memory, unless you are trying to get better scores in benchmarks ( and even still you will see probably + - 10% better performance in benchmarks ). You will see ZERO real world performance gain by upgrading your ram. you already have 8 gigs, that is plenty, the average user doesnt really have enough resources to use up 16 gigs of ram. stick with what you have or put the money you were going to spend on this ram towards upgrading another part of your rig ;)

You already have a (2x4GB) kit so buying a (4x4GB) kit is just leaving you with two extra modules. Just buy another (2x4GB) kit of memory just like the kit you already have.

The G.Skill kit (7-8-7-24 2N) is rated for 1.6v, you want to buy 1.5v memory. Plus if you use this kit with your present memory it will default to the slower memory speed/latencies and it will slightly overvolt your old memory.

My advice is to keep what you've got and spend that money on something else.

okay thanks guys, i wanted to at first get sli 560's but due to most new gpu's being dual slots i can't fit the second card in becayse my network card is in the slot below it.. this means if i upgrade my gpu i gott o just upgrade the card ill be looking at a 580 to see a more noticible difference but its very expensive-.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom