Is This Video Card An Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullknight10

Baseband Member
Im a very hardcore gamer but to be honest the only game I play is World of Warcraft. I have a VERY old (but awesome) EVGA GeForce 8800GT video card that I want to upgrade. Im thinking about the first video card linked below but is it an overkill for WoW on high settings or can the card linked below that one handle WoW on high settings. Basically I don't want to shell out the extra cash if I don't need too. Opinions needed!

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1351-KR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz (O.C. to 4.1Ghz)
ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

That is so weird and thanks for noticing. Why in the world would a better card be cheaper? Although 1 thing I noticed is the 460 has 336 Processor Cores and the 550 only has 192 Processor Cores. Whats the difference?

That is so weird and thanks for noticing. Why in the world would a better card be cheaper?
Because it's a generation further on, with an extra six months of development time. That drove down costs and improved performance (or, the same performance at even lower costs).
Although 1 thing I noticed is the 460 has 336 Processor Cores and the 550 only has 192 Processor Cores. Whats the difference?
The 550's cores are each better, plus they're clocked higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom