nuts and bolts are in, won't get past bios screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

willt

Beta member
OK, so.

I bolted everything together, and I'm pretty sure I've got everything in and wired correctly. I'm stuck at the Asus screen, and it's giving me options for:

Del - BIOS setup
TAB - display BIOS POST message
F8 - boot menu
Alt-F2 - ez flash 2

That's all fantastic, but it won't detect keystrokes. I've tried 2 different boards, neither is accepted.

There was a puff of smoke when I first flipped the switch, I'm desperately hoping that that was just paint being burned off.

Here's the specs:
Asus M4N68T-M V2
AMD AthlonII X3 455
Patriot PCS-10666 1333MHZ (4GBx2)

This was not intended to be a killer build. It's being used as a cheapo media server hooked up to a TV via HDMI.

Any ideas?

A puff of smoke? From where? That is almost certainly pointing to a short on something if you got smoke and now the USB controller isn't seeing a keyboard. Check to make sure your standoffs for the mobo are in the correct location.

From where: not sure. I had the case closed up when I first powered the system up. It's an older keyboard, using a ps/2 port, so that's maybe what fizzled. I'll have to get in touch with Fry's and see if I can exchange it or have to go through the whole RMA process. oh goody :annoyed:

This is why its suggested you put everything together outside the case and test the parts, then place it in the case. Like corrosive said, it sounds like you shorted something.

Hm, never heard that before. No matter, went and bought a Gigabyte board, that's up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom