USB 1.0 instead of 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotzenlekkerke

Beta member
Hi,
When I connect my extern maxtor usb 2.0 hard drive, I get the following message: "This device can perform faster. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a
list of available ports, click here."

My Asus motherboard supplies USB 2.0 ports.

When I use Device Manager's "Hardware Update Wizard" to go on-line and search Windows Update Website for a better driver, it reports, "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

When I use Device Manager to uninstall the driver from Universal Host Controller (while my USB 2.0 device still is connected to its
port) and reboot my computer, Windows XP first reports that it found new hardware and its driver, and then reports that my new
hardware (the USB 2.0 device) now is ready to use.
However, its next message is its famous, "This device can perform faster. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available ports, click here."

I have windows xp pro sp2 with all updates installed.

My question:
How do I enable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 support on my ports?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for your replies!
I've checked my motherboard cd and it contains no usb driver. It only says that I have to install windows sp1 to have the required usb 2.0 driver. As I have sp2 I suppose that should be ok.
I'm going to search manually for usb2.0 drivers and I'll see what that does.
I'll keep you informed

I fixed the problem.
If you have this problem and are looking for an answer.
I used a driver I downloaded manually, (VIA_USB2_Driver Package_V224) as windows wasn't able to get another driver by itself.
thanks for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom