What wattage of power supply does this build require?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared 727

Solid State Member
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145326"]HITACHI XL Desk 2TB External Hard Drive

Biostar AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6gb/s Motherboard

So what wattage of powersupply do I need for all this? I have heard various opinions, some saying NEVER skimp on the power supply and to get at least 650W, and some saying I could get by on a 430W power supply. Currently, I have a 500W power supply for this build as a sort of medium, but aiming towards the cheaper side since I am on a 600 dollar budget. So I need a proffesional opinion. Will a 500W power supply work well with this build? Keep in mind I don't really intend to upgrade any time within the next couple years and that I'll probably just build a REAL gaming rig when the time comes.

[/URL]

this isnt a terrible build for gaming. the external hard drive wont be a factor, as it will have it's own power supply. did you intend for that to be your main hard drive?

I think that 550 watts would be plenty, and would probably go with:
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

you really want to stick with antec and corsair for your power supplies with a few exceptions for other brands.

Actually theres many oher good brands, but anyway 500 is plenty, the 6850 i think ati specs 500W, which is usually high.

but a good 430W, maybe the cx430... ould run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom