How Is This Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
you need to go to the manufacturers website and look at what options it has if you want to know what it can do as far as OC'ing. I don't even know anyone with a DFI made board in these forums, but yeah ASUS sucks so atleast your switching from them. The best board for socket a for OC'ing is the ABit NF7-S v2 bar none.

You want high performance RAM if you want to overclock as value RAM really won't hold out well....I've already gone through one stick of 512mb as a result of it having too slow of timings. Your RAM only becomes overclocked once you've passed 200FSB assuming you have PC3200 RAM, but there are other ways to overclock your CPU without having to raise the FSB such as raising the Multiplier, but every .5 that the multi goes up you're adding 100MHz to the system which is a pretty big jump, but if you have adequate cooling it shouldn't be a problem, and as long as your voltages are good.

The NF7-S v2 is like $90 which would leave you $160 for RAM which could get you 1 512mb stick of some high performance Corsair XMS RAM which is some of the best out there.

DFI Infinity will give you 245+fsb after a good BIOS update and a lil' work. takes mods on a NF7-S v.2 to get past 240fsb usually. 1.7v just isn't enough. nf7-s also lacks DIMM voltage (2.9V max) while DFI goes to 3.3v i believe. but with your budget i believe nf7-s is what u want.

i personally recommend OCZ RAM...just cuz it is one of the leading competitors and i love it. Corsair, PQI, Ultra...all very popular as well. there EB is very good..but hard to fine. EL Rev.2 is really popualr now for OCZ...but will cost you as well. it's TCCD and overclocks like no other.

do you think heatspreaders make a diff? it's a big debate right now..i personally think they are just there...if you like them keep them, if not take them off. i notice 0% difference with mine on or off. i keep them on cuz they are ssexy:) so shiny.

Nvidia fan boy said:
Yes they do if your ram has a heat prob and the reason you see no diff is cause you prolly dont oc your ram.

look at my sig lately? i run 235mhz 2.5-2-2-5 @ 2.85v...there overclocked lol. still cold though with all the air in my case.

DFI Infinity will give you 245+fsb after a good BIOS update and a lil' work. takes mods on a NF7-S v.2 to get past 240fsb usually.
Most new people to overclocking aren't going to immediately try and jump for a 245+ FSB so I wouldn't exactly count out the NF7-S v2 simply because it can't go that high which is almost ridiculously high. He'll be guaranteed to hit 215FSB and a little U-shape copper wire mod will get him past that, I don't know abotu 240 though but like I said, I've seen very few people overclock their RAM that high although good job on yours cause that's a nice FSB you got....

But if he's new, then he should simply stick to learning the basics of OC'ing and just get the FSB up to 200 from 133, or 166, depending on what chip he gets and work on it from there.

1.7v just isn't enough.
I don't know why you say this, because if you're referring to the vcore it doesn't stop at 1.7 it goes up to 2.1v I believe, but you are correct on the dimm voltage max out at 2.9, but again....this is only a problem if you are trying to completely max out your FSB, but in his case, simply getting say a 2400+ XP-M chip to 200FSB would be a good first time achievement.

Regarding the heatspreaders......I don't know....With the thermal adhesive stick that goes on the actual chips, I doubt much of the metal that creates the heatspreaders actually get any heat being that the pads are rather thick on most it seems.....so they probably make very little difference, but like you said, they look nice and besides if they do nothing I guess that's better than harming your system.....surely it's gotta dissipate a little heat, but since we don't have RAM Thermal probes, it seems more like a marketing invention geared towards OC'ers

yah i should have been more specific, i was referring to NB votage, it tops at 1.7v. as far as RAM overclocks...your probably right, no one wants to start out pushing there hardware that hard. i've seen 280+mhz on my ram though (was on A64 setup)...usually people stay ~250-260 with the newer RAM. i wish mine were rev.2:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom