Budget Gaming Upgrade several core parts, advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanto

Daemon Poster
Hello everyone;

I will be upgrading some PC components in this coming month hopefully, and I would really love to know what you guys think pros - cons e.c.t. My budget is limited to $500, fortunately I'll be upgrading only CPU, mobo, RAM, and case. The other parts that I didn't listed is because I will be using the ones I already have which are listed on my signature. Thank you in advance !

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler

RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Regarding the mobo, I'm not planning on doing SLI but I do plan on overclocking the CPU.

Also if there are any other good choices for a case, let me know !

Not sure how good the thermal grease that comes with the 212+ is, might want to pick up some TX-2.
Also, I would check reviews of the P8P67 LE, think I remember reading somewhere its a little hobbled for OCing.
Unless you find you need more than your current 4GB of RAM I'd just upgrade to 4GB of DDR3 and put the difference into a P8P67.

Also, if you're using an OEM copy of Windows you're going to have to get a new copy.

Thank you for the replies !!

@patonb - about the case, I chose that one just to fit the budget but I can make arrangements and get the one you posted, now that I saw it i really like it. As long as it have good airflow I don't care if its ugly, after all what matter is the inside, hehehe.

@ Slaymate - I will take your advice and get that hsf instead :)

Yha I figured you did the budget... So i kept my search in the $50.

For a bit more knowledge... HAF stands for High Air Flow, so it better be nice.

I really like Antec Cases, they are fantastic coolers, but they have gawd aweful cable management.

Hi all;

Hopefully I will be ordering before the end of this week, and I really wanted some feedback before doing my final order, I did some slight changes that I would like feedback.. on the board and the RAM since are the ones that I might change.

RAM
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

MOBO
Newegg.com - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm really not sure with which RAM I should go, G.Skill is more cheap but I have use it in the past and although is a very good RAM indeed, it tends to die rather quickly. I rather spend a couple more bucks and go with Corsair even thought the cost difference is probably because the Corsair ram is XMP qualified, it has more positive reviews in terms of not having too many DOA sticks like the G.Skill ram according to the feedback on newegg.

One last thing, I changed the mobo to the Z68 chipset because, I currently have a dual monitor setup but I was wondering if I could use the Intel HD Graphics 3000 on the CPU with the DVI that comes with the mobo to setup a 3rd monitor for a triple monitor setup. No I'm not planning on gaming with 3 monitors I just want them for multitasking purposes ( which I do a lot ), I will be playing mostly on my primary monitor.

Thanks in advance and for sorry for the long post :big_grin:

If youre rig is mainly for gaming, 16gb is very much overkill. Gskill and corsair are both good brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom