advice on this computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofadra6on

Baseband Member
my computer is showing it's age with the new games and I want to upgrade

was looking at websites like ibuypower.com and cyberpower.com and the builds were costing around 1100-1300ish for the components I want.

these are the components I'm looking at

Processor bundle ($389): Intel BX80623I52500 Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3 GHz Socket 1155 95W Quad-core Desktop Processor
ASUS P8H67-M EVO REV 3.0
CRUCIAL 8GB KIT DDR3 1333-(4GB x 2)
ASSEMBLE/TEST: Motherboard, CPU, Memory

video card: ($290): XFX HD-695X-CDFC HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 256Bit PCIE 2.1 Crossfire Support Video Card

Hard drive: ($90): SEAGATE Barracuda ES.2 750GB ST3750330NS SATA-300 7200rpm hard drive (Bare drive)

Operating system ($100): Microsoft GFC-02050 Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT English DSP OEM 1-Pack

total cost with tax (Getting it from Mwave, which is down the street so I will do a will call): $946

to keep down the cost I plan to keep my case (Aprevia X discovery), my Power supply if i have enough connections (it's 750w, forgot the exact model) and my dark knight heat sink.

if there's any tweaks you can think of that might end up better (cost wise) let me know. I want a high end video card to play games on max settings for a couple years.

As far as graphics go, you should consider a GTX 560 Ti...my EVGA Superclocked gets just about the same fps on Battlefield 3 as my friends GTX 570. By default, it runs on 30% fan which is basically silent, but you can download EVGA Precision and set up automatic fan control - I think mine never goes above 70 degrees Celsius at about 50% fan - which is still quiet. I think I got mine for about $250.

As far as graphics go, you should consider a GTX 560 Ti...my EVGA Superclocked gets just about the same fps on Battlefield 3 as my friends GTX 570. By default, it runs on 30% fan which is basically silent, but you can download EVGA Precision and set up automatic fan control - I think mine never goes above 70 degrees Celsius at about 50% fan - which is still quiet. I think I got mine for about $250.
Yeah, I have one too, it's a fantastic card.

thanks for the input. as of now im pretty much dead set on just upgrading off my own computer. will keep the case, heat sink, power supply. I'm also pretty set on getting the I5 2500(k) with 8gb of a minimum 1333hz ram. the only problem im having right now is the video card

i checked some reviews on the 560 ti and 6950 and the general census is people are saying to get the 2gb 6950 if faced with those two choices. with my current build it will be around $680 after taxes..which is about where I want it to be for now.

if it helps these are the games i will be playing in 2012

-Skyrim (have it right now, the sweet spot is medium settings with my 5950, E8500 3.8 processor (Overclocked) but still has some slow down at times.
-batman arkham city
-battlefield 3 (i know im getting this for xmas hehe)
-WoW
-diablo 3
-star wars: the old republic

I want a rig that could handle all those games on max settings with not a lot of issues.

A 560 Ti will be able to play all of those games at a decent level. As far as maxed out goes, it will probably run skyrim, won't handle BF3, and it probably won't handle Batman AC (Its not out yet, so I can't say 100% it won't, but its supposed to be one of the most graphically intense games of the year). Diablo 3 same thing, I can't say for sure since it won't be out for a few more years. I've never played star wars the old republic.

If you don't have the money for a better card, you can always buy a 560 ti now and then buy another later assuming you have the PSU and motherboard to support such an upgrade.

I see you picked out the i5 2500 and an H67 motherboard bundle. For only a bit more money you can get a 2500k and a P67 or Z68 motherboard that will unlock your processor's multiplier and give you much more performance for your money.

so im gonna get some help buying parts as my xmas gift..which allows me to beef up the video card to a GTX 580

what is one of the better Mobos to go with the i5 2500k? I want something that's a bit on the high end of the mid range.

also which case would you recommend? the haf 932 or that thermaltake level 10? both have pretty good reviews, the haf is 50 bucks cheaper but the TT looks cooler haha.

Between the HAF932 and the Thermaltake Lvl 10, definitely the HAF932. The TTL10 looks cool but ultimately isn't a very good case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom