Performing a system wipe tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bzarector

Solid State Member
Need a few quick answers thanks;
first of all I am backing up my system files that I consider valuable onto a large portable HD. This way I won't lose them during the re-install of windows. second I am looking for some advice when we get the system back up and running, it will be windows 7 and i want the smoothest transition possible, are there any general tips you can give for re-installing windows and re-installing data? any other general advice would be good.
I am looking at upgrading in the very near future so I will be back with more tips, but for now that's all i'm after until i come back for the all important system upgrade.
ty,
Bza

I have found that with PCs of the same spec, using GHOST tools can be a **** of a life saver.
basically it takes a virtual image of your drive. like an iso.

install windows, everything you need to run normally and make an image. next time you need to wipe, throw the image on and BAM. everythings how you left it. aside from data, but back that up or put it on a shared drive/spare drive.

Also windows remote installation server, users in corps and schools to install an image onto many machines at once, jobs a good un

Had to delay, cause last night was busy. But thanks for the tips Sheepykins. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Definitely give your backed up files a thorough AV scan prior to copying them back to your fresh install, or even before sending them to your storage drive. While it has never happened to me personally, I have heard horror stories about techs infecting machines from their image files or some stored file was infected and kept re-infecting new systems after each wipe > install.
  • I will second Sheep's praise of GHOST as well, great to have a ready made image on hand. I would do run a defrag and chkdsk prior as well, always good to keep things organized. I do not believe there is any more efficient way of copying the data back to your drive. However, I find it useful to create a logical partition on your main hard drive, for storage only, that way unless the drive completely dies, the need to backup data is basically nonexistent.
- Rube​

• Definitely give your backed up files a thorough AV scan prior to copying them back to your fresh install, or even before sending them to your storage drive.
  • +rep for that, I hadn't thought of that :)

System wipe complete. Got windows performing again and things are looking schmick as. Am wondering about my internet connection though. Signal's a little low. Also connection speed is a little low considering I'm using a router. I've got all my important system files back up and running but am wondering about any important system installers or drivers I should be running before muddying my hands again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom