Is it possible to use BASH on Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fabyfakid,

BASH is an interpreter between the user and the kernel. Now windows kernel is not the same as linux kernel. Its Different.And interpretation of the commands in windows and linux are not any close to each other.

Thou you can find an emulator for BASH that works in windows[A DOS program], you cannot really BASH around in windows.

Yea I tried that emulator ,you can only execute basic commands, some 20 to 30 odd bash commands can be executed.

Sign
Codes:)

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. I was aware of the difference between both kernels. But due to the huge advances of the open source community, and the fact that there are now "open" DOS operating systems (excuse me for being redundant), like ReactOS, that BASH could be modified to be compatible with at least the 9X Windows, even though MS keeps its source tighly closed.

Would Cygwin be like what you're looking for?
Also, you could use vmWare to install *nix on your windows partion....then you're able to use bash on that partion without completely installing *nix or screwing with windows....Just some thoughts.

iron_cross: Would Cygwin be like what you're looking for?

Nope, Thats not possible. Cygwin is just an linux api emulator. It enables the look and feel of a linux environment in Windows.Btw dont ever try cygwin, it sux.
Vmware cant do it too...It can boot linux in windows. thats it

Sign
codes:)

Windows 9x OS's still ran with a DOS shell, that's why. Newer versions, namely XP and 2003, don't have true DOS, so BASH can't really work as you want it to. Even when it does, it's not really, because for the DOS command prompt in Xp and 2003, your command-line executions are being interpreted by a "middleman" Windows process. (In essence, a Windows app acting like a DOS emulator, but not...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom