Start-Up Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-DUB

Solid State Member
I have 3 Problems :madd: (please tell me which one you are addressing via the number 1/2/3):
----
1) I found a processor that was the same exact type ( I.E.: Pentium 4 aka Celeron D as I have been told AND my computer says) in my desktop, but was a different speed than the original. I tried to install it, and it worked fine at first. I would get this error message telling me that I may need to check for viruses, so I go to restart. This time, I turn the power on, and I hear this *beep* and the computer shuts down 5 seconds later.

Did I fry the processor? Or what is the problem? I also tried starting it without a hard drive, and got the same results.
----
2) When I try to start up a different computer I keep getting this "Media Test Failure" followed by "Exiting PXE-ROM" or something like that. What does this mean?
----
3) I go to start up yet another computer of mine, and it says the pc could be in danger to viruses (telling me to check for viruses - how would I do this?) and/or run a HDD check to see if I have a "corrupt" hard drive. How would I do this as well?

I turn it off, and change the hard drive I get a "Boot Failure", restart, same thing. Turn it off, put a different HD in, and it tells me the same virus thing.
----
:sad:
Thanks for any help, and anything (except hate comments) will be greatly appreciated!

Would the same type of processor (i.e. both Pentium 4's) but with a different speed work in the same slot(s)?

Re: CPU/Processor Upgrade

That's WAY too open ended of a question, mate.

Let's try narrowing it down a bit. What are the processors in question, and what is the motherboard there are being considered for?

They are both Pentium 4's, and both belong to the a 478 socket. The original is a 1.6Ghz and the other is a 2.53Ghz. Would the 2.53 get fried or should it work just fine in place of the 1.6?

That would depend on whether the motherboard is capable of handling the 2.53.

The 1.6 probably has a 400FSB while the 2.53 is a 533FSB. So as long as the board is capable of running a 533FSB it should work, but you need to check the specs as many OEM boards were manufactured on pretty tight restrictions as far as what they could handle.

How would I check to see if it is capable of handling the 2.53?

1. that beep is important, can you tell us what type of motherboard you have?
as this like shows Computer POST and beep codes the beeps actually mean something although people dismiss them.

but generally 5 beeps is a CPU problem. it could be a memory problem. - i would suggest stripping everything out but the PSU, mobo, cpu, memory and see if that will come on and you can get to the POST boot screen/bios options. if so its probably working, then just keep adding things.

2. this error means that the hard-drive you're trying to pump an OS off is bad, or improperly connected. Make sure the connections are tight, has proper power from the supply. If not, you will need to get a windows disc for that and run the recovery procedures.

3. whut lol... i dont get this, whats telling you that you have a virus? windows or the old Fdisk on post or something? i'm afraid you'll need to be more specific. however if you're looking for hardware tools to check memory, cpu, etc then you can try downloading and burning either
the ultimate boot disk or hirens 7.1 from an iso to disc and then booting from those. two cds with great sets of diagnostic tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom