need help with my NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rms5366

Solid State Member
I am running redhat 8, I have had trouble for years getting any modem or nic to work in linux. And thats basically the only thing that prevents me from keeping linux on my machine. Right now I have a Farallon NetLine PN796 USB 10/100 ethernet adapter and I cannot get it installed at all, doesn't help that I don't know what the hell I am doing when it comes to setting up hardware with linux anyways. Can someone please give me some advice. I have many other nic I can pop in my machine besides this one, including 3 3com etherlink III cards. :confused:

rms5366,

Okay, did you try this,

1) Goto terminal and type 'netconfig'
2) A network configuration dialog box opens
3) Click on new connection-> select ethernet card-> and configure...
4) If your ethernet card is found , well and good..but if it aint got detected, post back your comments

Sign
Codes:)

I have not tried that, I would have never known to try that, but I will asap, thanks for the tip :)

ok, I went to terminal and typed netconfig and it said command not found. So I went to the network configuration utility and setup the network card and clicked activate but it said device couldn't be activated.

rms5366,

Is your ethernet card displayed in the Network configuration utility?.I mean did it get detected?

Sign

it gets detected during startup and goes to the configuration part and all that then when it continues with boot up it says eht0 failed

rms

Hmm..it failed to activate the device..well...can you please double check with the configuration part. You say your card is listed in the 'devices' in network confiuration, but cant activate. Just fiddle around with the settings.

Also try to remove the device and make a new one and reconfigure..

If nuthing works, post back your comments.

Sign

ok, I went back in and fiddled around with the configurations, I tried 4 different ethernet cards, they all get automatically detected but none will activate. I took pics of everything i did but I don't know if I can attach them to a message here or not. I don't see anyplace to do so, so I am assuming not.

rms5366,
Hmm...iam not sure about what might causing you this, iam running outta ideas.:(
And yeah , you can attach images to the thread. But for that first, you have to upload your images to some webserver like photobucket.com ..etc...

then use the IMG option like this
e.g
http://www.yourphoto.com/image1.jpeg[/IMG.][/COLOR]

This will laod the pic into this thread. [COLOR=red]p.s: I have placed a dot at the end of '/IMG' so as to avoid TF format that statement.You should just use '/IMG' at the end [/COLOR]

Sign
Codes:)[/I]

ok, put in an ethernet card that has been detected, then open a terminal or console as root

then type "ifconfig", that should show the card if its active, if not type "dmesg | more" and scroll thru that and see if its detected at boot up, if it is then type:
ifconfig eth0 <netaddressyouwant> up and see what happens, example ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up

then type ifconfig again and it should show it running and working

sometimes the gui setup apps like netsetup in redhat dont freakin work right or are misleading to newbies

for complete explanation of ifconfig type "man ifconfig" in a terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom