Honestly fellas... what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Many Attempts later to get my "tablet of my dreams" I am.. back at nothing. *sigh*

SO fellas... help me out here.. help me decide.

I originally wanted a little Wacom Digitizer Touch Screen Laptop/Notebook/Tablet (whatever name they wanna brand it) with some decent specs, but could get a little gaming in (mostly, honestly, Minecraft, maybe some older games like Fallout 2 etc, maybe a newer if it'll run etc, but Minecraft is a Must.)

So I found several models with Wacom Digitizers/Technology - although all of them seem discontenued now. Was willing to buy the "xbox360" version of a HP (overheat problem, etc) however was scammed (got my money back) by a fake website. Ebay had no luck either, as the 3 I "won" suddenly had messages saying "oh so sorry, I Broke'd it, I refund, no sell"

So.... I started thinking... what about New? Well poopy luck there. I only found HP's newest touchscreen with Wacom doesn't have a very decent GPU (Intel HD Graphics 3000) I know it's not a horrible integrated, it's leaps and bounds above most integrated, however I don't think it's gonna be able to handle Minecraft after looking at reviews and details. so.. back to nothing?

don't know which models Toshiba has (or anyone else then HP really) with Wacom Digitizer..... if anyone can point them at me... lemme know some facts.

So I considered "laptop now, touchscreen later" But a decent "gaming" laptop under say $700 is rough to find even used. Again it wouldn't need to play Crysis completely on Max settings or nothing, were talkin Minecraft as the primary game - if it can handle higher games like Sims 3 , power to it. I just gotta factor in that the "touch screen later' option means spending another $1,000 down the line for Wacom's Cintiq 12wx display, and it cuts the 'mobility' down a bit on my "notebook"

What do you think guys? Abandon touch screen and go "touch screen later" or keep looking for an all-in-one to handle my desires?

Right now I have no budget - meaning don't go Crazy on prices but if a Brand New from manufacturer is available - that could work since most offer a monthly plan to pay for them (and honestly paying $2,000 over 36 months wouldn't be that bad for monthly payments) any "Pre owned" or "non financable" deals though will have to be quite cheap. (cuz I just don't have $2,000 right now to spend flat out)

IF we can't find a decent system for 'all in one' purpose under $2,000 I might as well spend $1,000 on a "game rig" and the $1,000 on the touch system later. So 2,000 is pretty much top price (unless of course financing is available)

Lay it on me fellas, cuz I needs my portable system more now then ever!

If you wanna look at bare specs requried:
Wacom Technology - there is NO substitution.
1.3+ Ghz Dual Core or Other Multi-Core
3+GB RAM (2 may be ok.... as long as I can add more later)
GPU of Decent MidRange Quality (Minecraft is still in beta so no final sys req yet, but decent pixel shaders for sure a Radeon HD 4890 still gets spikes on lag due it not being finished)
Battery life of at least 4 hours (not in "high game" mode, in "drawing" mode)
-anything else- I don't care if it's pink with the words "Free nookie" written on it, or even slightly damaged (nothin a little elbow grease can't fix up, with maybe a little epoxy)

Well, touch screens arnt really meant for gaming so you'd be hardpressed to find one that could handle anything better than browser games.
And you're right, gaming well "laptops with a dedicated card" are not cheap, they ramp up the cost by liek 200 even if the thing isnt worth that!

but regardless, i wouldnt bother with touchscreens atm, sure they are cheap right now but everyone and his cousin still has one on the market to try and compete. It wont be til much later, when they weed out the rough ones for some worth buying that they will dedicate more money to making those touchscreens better,

IMO laptop now, touch later (some laptops do have a touch screen that swivels the monitor around so you can use it like a tablet, but they are few and far and usually junky) and if you still wanna draw, theres always a OO-ESS-BEE tablet

Not sure what you mean for that last bit..

but I kinda need a touchscreen due to what I am doing , the games are the bonus/creative/fun spare time thing.

Has to be Wacom too which is why it's been more of a hassle - wacom has the best- hands down- digitizers on the market, and have for years, the detail you get with them and the amount of control is flat out the best. Plus my wacom stylus will work with any wacom digitizer vs having to buy new pens.
old models like
HP Tx2500 started well, that one overheats and is dated.
the HP TM2t looks about as good as it gets for both worlds - but is discontenued due to high demands.
the TM3 series - is yet to be announced.

HP released the EliteBook 2760p Tablet, but sadly it's only got the Intel HD Graphics 3000.

At least the TM2t has a switchable GPU between integrated and it's ATI Radeon HD 5450. Although not really "high end" graphics - I do believe it could handle what I need... if I could just find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom