First Time! Bulding Gaming Computer, Please Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elumo

Solid State Member
I recently have been having troubles with my FPS on my Alienware laptop. I have decided since I have my Ipad for portable computing, I can switch to desktops. As building a custom desktop is the best way of getting "bang for my buck" I have decided to take this route. However, I need a lot of help. I really do not know where to start. Does anyone have any recomendations? Also, I am currently in South America. I am going to try and source parts from here but it would be very useful to hear from people who have experience in shipping components, taking them on a plane with you, or having a desktop as "checked luggage". I will be taking a long trip back to Canada soon so I could always bring the parts back with me.

My budget is around $2,000 (CDN/US).

Thanks.

Components (Suggestions thus far):

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Motherboard:EVGA P67 FTW 160-SB-E679-KR LGA 1155 Intel
RAM: Please help: http://www.newegg.ca...-Power-Supplies
I would like to pick a combo RAM and Power Supply.
Power Supply: See above.
Hard Drive:Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III SSD
Video Card: 1 x EVGA 03G-P3-1591-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) Hydro Copper 2 3072MB (Water Cooling)
1 x EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB
OR two of the Non-Water Cooled
Computer Case:Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case,

Is it difficult, worth it, necessary to have water cooling? What else would I need for a system like that? Will I have sufficient cooling without the water cooling?

If this computer is purely for gaming I'd go for the i5 2500K for ~$100 less, the 2600K has no real benefit for gamers.
The motherboard seems like overkill to me, you can easily find something <$200 with similar features, unless you need 5x PCIe 2.0 slots.
Couldn't find a good combo for RAM + PSU but separately:
RAM / PSU

That case looks like it has great air-flow, so unless you plan on some hefty overclocking I wouldn't think water-cooling would be necessary.

I am trying to keep it around 2000 cdn\US. What are your suggestions?

Ok guys, here is an updated build. Let me know what you think. Also, feel free to comment on compatibility issues or anything else.

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Motherboard:ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
RAM

Power Supply:OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular
PSU

SSD:Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III
SSD

GPU: 2 x MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB
GPU

HD:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
HD

Computer Case:Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Case

Cooler:Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Fan

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Thermal Compound

... i dont understand a lot of your choices... but its your computer broskie...

the cards i chose are better, faster, quieter and cheaper...

the thermal compound that the Noctua cooler comes with is WAY better than artic silver 5.

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink from it, do your thing...

Ya, I am still looking over the GPU options. I have had lots of different opinions...

Also, please help with this guys:

I need to source the case from where I live. I will pay out of my *** for it, but it will be less complicated in shipping. Can you help me pick one from this list? The selection in chile is not nearly as good.

PC Factory • Tu centro tecnológico

I am thinking the HAF 932 by coolermaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom