cant decide on ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
I cant decide on wether to get a 120g ssd and raid 0 in another once I use it up or go now with 2 60g ssd's. I also would like to make use of intel smart response which can only support a maximum of 60gssd. what do I do?

Right now the OCZ vertex 3 and OCZ synapsis seem to be the fastest ssd's out there, read and right times is what I should be looking at right? what do you guys think I should do?

The case I have is the haf x, it has 6 bays for storage, I will use 2 to put 1tb normal hard drives in raid 0, wd caviar blacks, so I have 4 to spare.

thanks!

You should look at the read/write times and the IOPS (4k random read/write). The read/write is sequential data transfers (copying large files) which one doesn't normally do on a regular basis - especially on a SSD. The higher the IOPS, the faster you can read/write smaller files, which is done all the time. I'd go for a OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS edition 256gb - or raid 0 with 120gb. Personally, that SSD is fast enough for me - I wouldn't bother with raid 0.

AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review
you can choose to use up to 64GB of the SSD as a cache for all accesses to the hard drive.
Any space above 64GB is left untouched for you to use as a separate drive letter.
So you can still use SRT with a 120GB or larger drive, though I'm not really sure what the purpose would be.
AFAIK, SRT caches frequently accessed programs on your mechanical hard drive. But, if you have a 120GB drive you should be able to fit all of your programs on that and use the 1TBs for storage. So why would you want to sacrifice half of your space on the SSD to cache storage files on the mechanical drives?

Ok i see, that was very helpfull thank you. I planned on running two 120g ocz ssds in raid o anyway so really theres no point for me to use this feature. I was also going to run 2 1tb normal drives in raid o for everything else.

Since were on this topic kinda, could i then make a 2tb hd back up everything from my 240g ssd raid o and the 2tb hd raid o?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom