Newly Installed i7 2600k overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really all depends on how much of an overclock your wanting. The CM TX3 will be better than the stock cooler, but only slightly. The Noctua on the otherhand is a very good cooler and should provide excellent performance, but it costs a lot more. I would go with the Noctua.

I guess that's what I'll be getting then. If there are any better recommendations without going into water cooling, I'm game for hearing it. I'd like to OC this thing as far as it will let me on air. (And as far as my case will let me)

Do you have any recommendations for how to remove thermal paste? Are there any actual products out there other than rubbing alcohol?

There's this for removing thermal paste.

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - Thermal Compound / Grease

As for other heatsinks, there are a few other top performers but they are large. The Noctua you linked to is a fairly large heatsink, what memory are you using? Some of the memory with tall heatspreaders have clearance issues with some heatsinks and fan setups.

Thanks for the link!

I have these puppies: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-240-...43M0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320777780&sr=8-2

They aren't that tall, however the top does come up a little bit from the rest of the RAM.

Those aren't the best modules to have. There rated for 1.65v but the i7 2600K is designed for 1.5v modules. They will work but the memory controller is going to be running at the far end of its specifications. This will probably cause your cpu to run a few degrees hotter.

You should look at the Corsair H80, it a pre-assembled kit so it's fairly easy to install.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

The H80 is just a slightly updated version of the H70 that I reviewed here.

Those aren't the best modules to have. There rated for 1.65v but the i7 2600K is designed for 1.5v modules. They will work but the memory controller is going to be running at the far end of its specifications. This will probably cause your cpu to run a few degrees hotter.

You should look at the Corsair H80, it a pre-assembled kit so it's fairly easy to install.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

The H80 is just a slightly updated version of the H70 that I reviewed here.

I would definitely be willing to try a water cooler, but I'm a little uncertain on how they work. I actually did a little research on them the other day, and I do have a much better understanding of how they work now; however the installation is something that I find very worrysome; additionally, my case doesn't have any pre-cut tubing holes, or a special place for the radiator. I figured I needed a special case to have water cooling; is that true or am I mistaken?
I have the NZXT Apollo, just for reference.

Thanks for your help again!

Did you look at the link to my review of the H70?

On the back, inside of your case, directly below the power supply you should see a 120mm fan. That fan is removed and the H80 takes its place.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/corsair-hydro-series-h70-cwch70-238842/

That review was extremely helpful, thanks! After only giving it a quick 5-minute lookover, I already understand how the installation process goes. (And no worries, I'll be sure to give it much more than a 5-minute lookover if I actually go through with it)

It does raise a few questions though: I did look at the testing, but do you believe the H80 would be able to keep the 2600k under 60C at 4.5ghz or higher?
I was slightly surprised to see the 920 tested in the review going close to 70C at only 4.0ghz; makes me a little nervous about how much it is actually going to help. 4.0ghz is certainly an improvement over my current 3.5ghz; but I was really hoping to see as close to 4.5ghz as possible.

Also, I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I noticed you have the EK-Supreme HF; is that something I would be able to include with the H80 to take the performance even further? I'm not entire sure what the EK-Supreme HF is honestly; although it just looks like a replacement heat-sink for any water cooling system, that I would essentially just screw on after screwing off the stock heat sink from the H80. Is that possible, or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of the EK-Supreme?

Ooh, also, I'm assuming that because the H80 is a sealed unit, that means I don't have to add/replace the water, right?

Last thing on my mind, do you have an recommendations for RAM? A few posts ago I forgot to comment on the fact that my RAM isn't exactly the best fit for the 2600k. Got me thinking that I might want to replace them; or add a second set that is better-suited for the 2600k.

Thanks again for your help, it really is...well...helpful! :big_smile:

The EK-Supreme HF is a waterblock from a different watercooling setup.

The i7 920 @ 4GHz runs hotter than the i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz. The H80 should be good for 4.5-4.8GHz with a i7 2600K, the H100 should get you to 5GHz but the H80 might go that high also (if your room temps are cool).

All of the Corsairs kits are closed systems requiring no maintenance other than cleaning out any dust build-up from the fans.

If you go with a Corsair Water kit then you can go with the Corsair Vengeance memory that everyone wants or G.Skill is also good memory. If you stick with a air cooler then I would stick with G.Skill. For most people the Good is really all thats needed.

Good

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Better

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R

Best

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R

The EK-Supreme HF is a waterblock from a different watercooling setup.

The i7 920 @ 4GHz runs hotter than the i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz. The H80 should be good for 4.5-4.8GHz with a i7 2600K, the H100 should get you to 5GHz but the H80 might go that high also (if your room temps are cool).

All of the Corsairs kits are closed systems requiring no maintenance other than cleaning out any dust build-up from the fans.

If you go with a Corsair Water kit then you can go with the Corsair Vengeance memory that everyone wants or G.Skill is also good memory. If you stick with a air cooler then I would stick with G.Skill. For most people the Good is really all thats needed.

Good

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

Better

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8R

Best

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R

Ah okays, that's good to hear! =D
I would be willing to get the H100; but it looks as though the cooler requires a case that has a two fan cutout on the back, but mine only has enough space for a single fan. (And only one cutout, as well)
I'm not sure if I'm right or not, though; it just looks twice as long.

Also, as far as the RAM goes, do you recommend that I ditch the RAM I have now in favor of the new RAM, or should I just add it to the empty slots; or replace the current slots with the new RAM and fit the old RAM into the empty slots?

Thanks again! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom