New Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things I'd consider if you want to cut some cost:
1) 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, real world performance isn't going to be much different from the WD Caviar Black and its ~$80 cheaper.
2) If you like the Cooler Master HAF series check out the HAF 922, or my personal favorite the Corsair Carbide 400R.

Ah yes, that case seems like a go-er, Thankyou :). With the hdd, even though I would save $80 am I losing anything with cheaper Samsung?

I went into a local store to see what there prices where in relation to all the parts, the salesman there said that it would be better to say go with a Giga Byte mobo with similar specs to the Asus one and then also go with the Giga Byte 560Ti to ensure complete compatibility between the core hardware. He did mention that he had found Giga Byte to be the most stable in his own experience. He is sending a quote through for parts later today anyway, I'll see what he suggests and get you guys to have a look at it.

The GFX and board do not have to be the same, no matter what he thinks. The board does not recognize the board maker. It recognizes the GPU chip and memory.

Everyone will have their favorite board makes. That's why there is much choice. I stand firmly by ASUS. ;)

The GFX and board do not have to be the same, no matter what he thinks. The board does not recognize the board maker. It recognizes the GPU chip and memory.

Everyone will have their favorite board makes. That's why there is much choice. I stand firmly by ASUS. ;)

Yes, well that's the thing I guess, being the first time I have ever looked into anything like this I don't have a favourite so am relying on others and what they recommend. I have had a look at a few professional reviews and general user reviews and ASUS does seem like the way to go. I'll wait to see what prices he gives me anyway.

IMO, Gigabyte is about at par with ASUS. I have ordered a few over the years. But ASUS seemed to give a lot more for the money.

am I losing anything with cheaper Samsung?
You lose 32MB of cache and 2yrs of warranty, neither of which, separate or combined, I'd consider worth $80; that would be enough to buy another 1TB drive pre-flood.

Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc... all make great boards and have their fans that swear by them.
I think the real selling point for something other than a Gigabyte is they aren't widely using the new-ish graphical BIOS like the other companies, which may be nice to have if you're not familiar navigating the older version.

went into a local store to see what there prices where in relation to all the parts, the salesman there said that it would be better to say go with a Giga Byte mobo with similar specs to the Asus one and then also go with the Giga Byte 560Ti to ensure complete compatibility between the core hardware. He did mention that he had found Giga Byte to be the most stable in his own experience. He is sending a quote through for parts later today anyway, I'll see what he suggests and get you guys to have a look at it.

I disagree. After the stores warranty expires (usually 30 days) you'll have to deal with Gigabyte if something goes wrong. Gigabyte has the worst Return Policy out of all the big manufacturers. Going with a Gigabyte 560TI to ensure compatibility with the core hardware is total crap and tells me that salesman is incompetent.

I disagree. After the stores warranty expires (usually 30 days) you'll have to deal with Gigabyte if something goes wrong. Gigabyte has the worst Return Policy out of all the big manufacturers. Going with a Gigabyte 560TI to ensure compatibility with the core hardware is total crap and tells me that salesman is incompetent.

Haha, no worries, can I quote that to him? :p

I'm happy with the list as is. I'll see what prices he can do for me on some of the parts and get the rest online.

Quote away. To be honest Gigabyte isn't a bad company and their components are generally pretty good, but if you happen to get a bad part or it starts crapping out after a few months then it may take a little longer to get a replacement. I'm sure they'll stand by their products but I've found Asus and EVGA to be the best to deal with.

I definitely wouldn't pay more for a Gigabyte and I wouldn't buy a Gigabyte card just because I bought a Gigabyte mobo. Now if the Gigabyte card and mobo are cheaper then it would be worth considering, but not just because their from the same company.

You lose 32MB of cache and 2yrs of warranty, neither of which, separate or combined, I'd consider worth $80; that would be enough to buy another 1TB drive pre-flood.

Managed to pick up the WD today locally for $175, so I'm happy with that. As for the older or newer looks of BIOS, well its all foreign to me so either is going to be a learning step anyway and probably produce its own barrage of questions once I get the actual machine put together.

Also managed to get the sales guy at a little shop I found today to drop the price on a Asus 560ti to $300, rather getting than the EVGA is that a wise swap? I mean looking at the specs online there is not to much of a difference and if anything the Asus is a little better?

Thought I'd drop back in and say that I did it. Was pretty simple to put all together, actually I found it so easy that I thought that I just had to have done something wrong but I didn't. Works like a charm and am really happy with it!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom