ESD! ! ! ESD! ! ! ESD! ! ! (Building a Computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I see with ESD most of you have is that you think ESD is attributed only to critical failure of a component. An electrical components lifespan can be shortened and its performance impaired by as little as 5-10 volts. At least 300 volts of static has to be accumulated in order for you to feel it. What this means is if you're not wearing an ESD band you could be damaging your components and not know it. Simply because you're not feeling the damage you're doing doesn't mean its not happening.

Rubbing two surfaces together generates static electricity. How much is generated can depend on the material being moved, but it is always generated. You can also damage your components with induction generated from just moving your hands around in your case. When your RAM dies after two years you wouldn't really think its because you failed to use precautionary methods when you installed it.

An ESD bracelet is $6 at a store. Wearing one doesn't hurt, but not wearing one could. Logically why would you not wear one? They're not even constraining or a hassle to use.

An ESD bracelet is $6 at a store. Wearing one doesn't hurt, but not wearing one could. Logically why would you not wear one? They're not even constraining or a hassle to use.
The stereotypical argument against this is that you can say the same about a condom. Wearing one doesn't hurt, but not wearing one could (well, not hurt, but you get the idea).

Look at how many of us don't use one. Yet, we have been fine. Grounding yourself is as easy as touching the PSU casing. As long as you do not move much, you are fine.

how much lifespan could be taken out of components for having a metal plate in my head? hypothetically of course.

That wouldn't affect your ESD experience.\

Look at how many of us don't use one. Yet, we have been fine. Grounding yourself is as easy as touching the PSU casing. As long as you do not move much, you are fine.

Like I said before you probably don't even realise damage is being done. Like the condom thing, you're not going to find out shes pregnant instantly. You won't even know until weeks have gone by. Or as far as a computer is concerned, months or even years. Note the damage will multiply each time you mess around in your computer. If you build it once and leave it at that, you probably will never notice it. If you upgrade your computer more often, the damage will happen more and more until function is noticably affected.

An ESD is going to damage the component immediately, it not going to slowly cause damage. In my opinion most users need to worry more about dust than ESD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom