A tough one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerossoul

Beta member
I am trying to help a family repair their computer.

I was able to back up and format the computer with little problems. My problem occurred when I booted up into Windows XP for the first time. Windows did not install my the mouse or Keyboard! They are both USB. I know some keyboards and mice require Drivers before they operate, so I thought to use a PS/2 mouse or keyboard.

When I looked behind the Computer to plug them in, I realized the computer had no PS/2 ports! What am I to do now!? The Drivers I need are on Dell's website, but I cannot install them without an interface!

I went into the CMOS to check if the USB devices were enabled, and they were. My question is, how am I supposed to get any kind of interface going?

I'll list some additional information that might help.

Installing Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension C521. Only USB ports.

That's all i can give right now! please help!

I was able to back up and format the computer with little problems. My problem occurred when I booted up into Windows XP for the first time. Windows did not install my the mouse or Keyboard! They are both USB. I know some keyboards and mice require Drivers before they operate, so I thought to use a PS/2 mouse or keyboard.

When I looked behind the Computer to plug them in, I realized the computer had no PS/2 ports! What am I to do now!? The Drivers I need are on Dell's website, but I cannot install them without an interface!

I went into the CMOS to check if the USB devices were enabled, and they were. My question is, how am I supposed to get any kind of interface going?
This computer can't be that old if it has no PS/2 ports. Did you try to install Vista/7? What you could do is go to Download | Ubuntu then download Ubuntu and Mount it to a CD/DVD then run it with *Live CD* upon initial Boot which will let you run the operating system off the CD, If the keyboard and mouse does work, then you can go to *C:* then you will see a folder that says *SDA* click that and that should be your Windows XP files. you can go in there and try to update the drivers that way. The mouse/keyboard should work using the Linux Live CD.. If you have any questions just send me a private message. Hope this helps.

I'll list some additional information that might help.

Installing Windows XP Professional on a Dell Dimension C521. Only USB ports.

That's all i can give right now! please help!

Sometimes I find that USB peripherals don't work the very first time you boot a computer (say, after a reformat). Try changing the ports that they are plugged into and reboot.

Go into BIOS and 'enable' LEGACY USB support. That should work.

Yes, basically. Older motherboards do not recognize USB on boot. You may have to beg/borrow/steal a PS2 keyboard to get things working.

i assume you are not using a wireless USB are you? if so go with cable.. and im sure if you try a different USB mouse it will work with no major issues by your discription of the computer.

Plug your usb keyboard only when Window is loaded, it should recognized it and set up the driver, the BIOS solution should work, the only issue with no keyboard no BIOS

The live cd is also a good option to test if your usb are dead or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom