Newly Installed i7 2600k overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownaholic

Baseband Member
So, just today I replaced my i5 2500k with an i7 2600k, and I ran into some problems.

After installing the CPU, I tried installing a Zalman CNPS5X to my P8P67 motherboard.

As it turns out, even though the Zalman fan has Intel 1155 support, I was unable to install the fan, because the second clip was flush against one of the little blue things on the motherboard, right by the cpu. (See pictures in the motherboard link for an idea of what I'm saying)

I had to remove the entire Zalman fan, clean off the CPU with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and Q-Tips to remove the newly-applied thermal grease, and then once it was dry and clean, I applied the i7's Stock fan, which had thermal grease already applied.

The reason I purchased the 2600k was to improve my video rendering times, but it does not seem to be moving any faster than my 2500k.

What's worse, I began to render a video, only to find out that my under-load temperatures are bouncing back and forth between 69-78 degrees C. It averaged around 72-74C the entire time.
That should not be happening.

With my i5, I had it overclocked to 3.9ghz running on the stock fan, and I didn't go past 70 degrees C.
Overclocking the i7 even slightly sends it to degrees as high as 90C.
When the i5 was running at stock speeds, it was only at 50-55C.

Is this because the thermal grease on the bottom of the stock fan hasn't melted and formed a bond yet? How long does that usually take; I had assumed that running the computer for about 20 minutes was enough to accomplish that.
Did something get screwed up when I removed the after-market fan, and replaced it with the stock fan?

Thanks a million to whoever can help with this, because I'm pretty baffled as to how the temperatures can be this high at stock speeds; and also that I am not seeing anywhere near the increase in video rendering speeds that I was told I would see, by numerous people on both this board, and two other boards.

Thanks again!

thermal compound setting into place alone wont make your computer overheat. Make sure that your fan is actually on (I've had fans die on me before, make sure you actually see it moving). Also, i've had situations where my wires would get stuck in fan blades (yea, bad cord management), make sure this isn't happening.

thermal compound setting into place alone wont make your computer overheat. Make sure that your fan is actually on (I've had fans die on me before, make sure you actually see it moving). Also, i've had situations where my wires would get stuck in fan blades (yea, bad cord management), make sure this isn't happening.

Troubleshot both of those things before I spun it up. I learned the hard way the first time to keep the cables away from the fan; I was accidentally cutting into my wires with my first fan, so I learned my lesson then.
Also, I have a transparent side panel, so I can see it spinning fine.

The temperatures seem to have dropped down to a normal-ish temp level once everything returned to normal. Someone said that the i7 is naturally going to be hotter than the i5, and at idle times, it is only about 5C hotter.
I rendered a second video, and this time the temps were around 65-70C. Better, but still makes me nervous.

Also, the rendering times are not much better at all than the i5. There's barely any difference.

this is because the i5-2500 and 2500k is actually on par with the i7 and the i5 is alot better for gaming etc ... :)

this is because the i5-2500 and 2500k is actually on par with the i7 and the i5 is alot better for gaming etc ... :)

That is just not true. The 2500K is not on par with the i7, the i7 has a few advantages over the 2500K. Hyper-Threading and a larger cache come to mind. Do these advantages make a difference in gaming? No, not really but they do in other applications.

And the i5 is not a lot better for gaming. It is cheaper and it will perform quite similarly, but that does not make it better at gaming. It only makes it cheaper, which is a good reason to consider it.

thermal compound setting into place alone wont make your computer overheat.

This is also not true. Your application of thermal paste can make a big difference in your core temperatures. The biggest mistake most people make is using to much thermal paste, you only need to use a little bit. Get a single grain of dried uncooked rice (average size) and place it on your cpu (just off-center). Now get your thermal paste and in the center of the cpu squeeze out the paste until it is the same size as the grain of rice, or just slightly smaller. Remove the grain of rice and don't spread the paste. Attach the heatsink, the weight of the heatsink will spread the paste, attach the fan and power wire connector.

As far as your rendering performance, the i7 2600K is only going to perform slightly better at stock speeds. But it will perform better as the clock speeds increase.

The Zalman heatsink was a really poor choice, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ would of been a much better choice and it is a few dollars cheaper.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Here's a Newegg Youtube video showing a i7 2600K, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and a Asus P8P67 being overclocked. It might help you a little.

Newegg TV: Sandy Bridge Overclocking & UEFI Demo on ASUS P8P67 P67 1155 - YouTube

lol ive got a i5 . my mates got a i7 and my system kicks his asss

So, my i7 2600K will kick yours.

It is against the Forums Rules to attempt to by-pass the forums speech filter. I've edited your post, next time an infraction will be issued.

That is just not true. The 2500K is not on par with the i7, the i7 has a few advantages over the 2500K. Hyper-Threading and a larger cache come to mind. Do these advantages make a difference in gaming? No, not really but they do in other applications.

And the i5 is not a lot better for gaming. It is cheaper and it will perform quite similarly, but that does not make it better at gaming. It only makes it cheaper, which is a good reason to consider it.

This is also not true. Your application of thermal paste can make a big difference in your core temperatures. The biggest mistake most people make is using to much thermal paste, you only need to use a little bit. Get a single grain of dried uncooked rice (average size) and place it on your cpu (just off-center). Now get your thermal paste and in the center of the cpu squeeze out the paste until it is the same size as the grain of rice, or just slightly smaller. Remove the grain of rice and don't spread the paste. Attach the heatsink, the weight of the heatsink will spread the paste, attach the fan and power wire connector.

As far as your rendering performance, the i7 2600K is only going to perform slightly better at stock speeds. But it will perform better as the clock speeds increase.

The Zalman heatsink was a really poor choice, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ would of been a much better choice and it is a few dollars cheaper.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Here's a Newegg Youtube video showing a i7 2600K, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and a Asus P8P67 being overclocked. It might help you a little.

Newegg TV: Sandy Bridge Overclocking & UEFI Demo on ASUS P8P67 P67 1155 - YouTube

My biggest problem is having to remove my motherboard in order to install a new cooler.
I had an incredibly difficult time during the first install, and I do not have any type of cutout on the back; so, for any cooler that isn't "push-pins", I'd rather not do.

I've personally found this one: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
How would that compare in performance to the CM fan you listed?

Another person on a different forum has sworn by (multiple times throughout his post) on the Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
I would have to remove the mobo to get this cooler in, but he swears that it fits on his P8P67 (which is my board as well), and I want to get the 2600K the cooling it deserves.
If the first CM fan I linked isn't good enough, then at that point I'm not sure what fan to go with.

Your thoughts? =]

My biggest problem is having to remove my motherboard in order to install a new cooler.
I had an incredibly difficult time during the first install, and I do not have any type of cutout on the back; so, for any cooler that isn't "push-pins", I'd rather not do.

I've personally found this one: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
How would that compare in performance to the CM fan you listed?

Another person on a different forum has sworn by (multiple times throughout his post) on the Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
I would have to remove the mobo to get this cooler in, but he swears that it fits on his P8P67 (which is my board as well), and I want to get the 2600K the cooling it deserves.
If the first CM fan I linked isn't good enough, then at that point I'm not sure what fan to go with.

Your thoughts? =]

It really all depends on how much of an overclock your wanting. The CM TX3 will be better than the stock cooler, but only slightly. The Noctua on the otherhand is a very good cooler and should provide excellent performance, but it costs a lot more. I would go with the Noctua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom