HDD prices skyrocketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked_Keyboard

Baseband Member
If you're unaware of recent events or are just now getting into looking at HDD prices there is some valuable information you need to know. Due to massive flooding in Thailand roughly 25% of HDD suppliers have been shut down. I understand 25% is not a majority, but HDDs have already increased by price usually by 100% (An HDD I wanted earlier increased by 200%, hence I didn't buy it)

This price gouging only affects online store product importers (Newegg, Amazon, etc). I strongly suggest you purchase HDDs from a brick and mortar store if at all possible. A heads up for those wondering why their $50 HDD is now $150.

Well, it needed to be said for newbs who don't read the news. They need to know before they think they can get a 1TB drive for $60.

These inflation's are artificial, WD and seagate both have increased production of all other facilities to maximum, and strangely are keeping up with demand. What is driving up the cost is the fact people are freaking out, and buying more drives than normal which causes production to "fall" behind.

this isnt gouging.

Yes, it is, these drives, well, look around, and read some... Price gouging occurs anytime a good, should not be as expensive as it is, some these places are making upto 100+% profit, and that's just the retailers alone.

The No. 1 choice, a Seagate Barracuda 6Gbps drive from MCM Electronics, was listed at $92.39. According to Pricewatch, the ad was "updated 1 day ago." Clicking through to the MCM Electronics site, I found the drive was out of stock, but alternatives were offered via WinBuyer. There I found the same drive at TigerDirect.com "in stores only" for $139.99, or online for $165. Bottom line: "1 day ago" the drive was offered at $92.39. Today you have to either walk into a store and pay a 50 percent premium over the advertised price, or order online and pay an extra 80 percent.

The No. 2 choice at Pricewatch: a Western Digital Caviar Green 6Gbps, for $104.95 from PC Connection Express. That ad was "updated 2 days ago." But if you click through to PC Connection Express, the same drive is listed for $149.95. That's a bounce of 43 percent.

No. 3 at Pricewatch: WD Digital Caviar Green 3Gbps from GoHardDrive.com, listed at $109.95 "updated 1 hour ago." Click through and GoHardDrive wants $209.99 for exactly the same drive, up 91 percent.

Source: Hard drive prices skyrocket | Computer hardware - InfoWorld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom