Dual DDR Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

U_X_U

Solid State Member
Hi, all!

I have an Abit NF7 motherboard. I know it supports dual DDR, but I did not know that when I bought the memory (previous to buying the board).
So I have a Samsung 512 MB memory chip. Now I've purchased another memory chip -- a Winbond 512 MB chip.
My question is: can i put these 2 chips together on the board without problems, or do I have to get 2 chips with the same brand name?

if they're both ddr chips then thats fine. all in all you'll have 1024mb of ddr memory. brand name doesn't matter.

however you must take into account the speed/rating of the both chips. correct me if i'm wrong but if you have a ddr 333mhz and a ddr 266mhz,..both will run at 266mhz. the higher card will run at the speed of the lowest card

Dual channel boards are quite often very picky about mixing and matching RAM brands. I'm not saying it won't work, but you'll definately find it's a lot more stable if you buy an identical pair.

Thank you, guys..
They were both ddr400.
Unfortunately the new one (alone) did not work om my system. I noticed something that looks like a scratch on one chip.. Wonder what it is. I hope they will not blame me for it. It was there before I put it into my computer. I hope they will change it.

Yeah.. thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's really difficult to purchase quality RAM here.. To understand, I'll tell you that it took me more than 2 months to get the Abit board. The shops here only sell ECS, Acorp and other low priced boards. Poor market :(. So the memories are also the lowest priced. And no seller will get me only one or two memory sticks :(. Samsung is the best you find arround here and the sucker that selled me the Winbond promised me a Samsung. He put it in the mother board's box so I only saw that at home. Wise guy...

hehe! same here man. unfortunately im in the province,..i'll have to travel about 2 hours to the capital to get the premium stuff. fortunately its a lot cheaper since we're near taiwan/japan/china and all.

Can somebody please tell me where the Abit guys hid the recommended memory types for NF7 series? I can't seem to find it...

btw,..am not really familiar with these abit nf7 boards,...NF7-M, NF7-S, NF7, are they different from one another?

The only thing that's different is the "accesories" they come with. NF7-S comes with Serial ATA, firewire and Dolby surround. NF7-M comes with a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom