My Dell PC won't power up........... is the power supply the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Colors

Baseband Member
Hello. I am working on a Dell desktop PC for a friend of mine. The model # is Optiplex GX620.

The computer will not power on. When I plug it in a couple of bulbs on the mother board will light up. However, when I hit the power on button it does not do anything.

Note...... the power button on the front has a yellow light shining through it. I assume that this is related to a power supply problem?

I did order a new power supply and I installed it. However, it did not fix this problem at all.

How can I tell what is actually wrong, and what can I do about this?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

TC

Start taking stuff out until you get success. Unattach hard drives, optical drive, down to 1 stick of memory and then try in different slots.

A solid yellow light indicates the power supply is operating normally but the computer is not processing data. This could mean there is a problem with the CPu or another component on the motherboard.
Source If you know anyone with a PCI hardware diagnostics card, it will save you some time, otherwise if you have a spare cpu or motherboard with matching sockets, give them a quick swap and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom